How to make MPB faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rollsrock25, Dec 16, 2011.

1. rollsrock25 macrumors newbie

Here's the specs. What would be your next upgrade? What would you set up differently? This is my first Mac, after making the switch (happily) from Windows. :apple::apple:

Mac Book Pro
    Mac OSX 10.6.8
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Number of processors: 1
    Bluetooth v2.4.5f3
    Matshita DVD-R Writes DLs
    Broadcom ethernet card
    FW 800 Port
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 300M 288 MB VRAM
    320 GB HD @ 5400 RPM
    MAC HD 270 GB/AVAILABLE 85.6 GB HFS+
    BOOTCAMP 49 GB/AVAILABLE 30.23 GB NTFS
    2 USB ports

It's almost a year old, I'd say...sometimes I have trouble loading programs, and the internet cuts out from time to time. Other than that, I can't complain as this laptop has served me very well. Huge fan of Apple products, but just like everyone else I wish they cost a little less. :cool:

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would start with more memory and/or a SSD personally.

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Memory and SSD are basically the only things you can do. (SSD will make your computer much more responsive)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What kind of trouble?
    Hardware upgrades won't change that.

You can gain performance improvement in many cases without changing hardware.

Performance tips for Mac OS X

5. aCondor macrumors 6502

For your loading problem, more RAM would do the trick. 8GB is plenty.

Like the above poster said, an SSD would help but they are (IMO) a little pricey now. Just get some more RAM and you'll be fine.

As for your internet troubles... not sure what may be causing that, but I doubt it relates to your laptop specs.

6. squeakr, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Ala the Simpsons: Get a pick axe and add some speed holes!!! The lighter weight makes it go faster!

7. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

SSD is going to make MB Pro faster. I would also maximize RAM.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While the OP would probably see a performance improvement from upgrading to a SSD, that's not necessarily the case with RAM. If the OP isn't maxing out the RAM they have, they won't see any performance boost at all by adding RAM.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

agreed. OP, can you post a picture from your activity monitor showing your computer under normal use? A picture of the Page ins/outs under the "system memory" tab would be good.

10. rollsrock25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all! I was thinking of upgrading to an SSD within the next six months or so. I believe the internet connectivity has something to do with my router or cable modem settings. It couldn't be Time Warner, could it? :D

What wireless routers work the best with Macs? I'm also curious as to which SSD's serve well with the MBPs, and if anyone knows when they may start to come down noticeably in cost?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course it could!

12. rollsrock25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Quoted for truth.

The key question, which hasn't been answered yet, is what problems are you having loading programs? That's vague enough that it could mean anything. Are they taking longer than you expect? Are they crashing? Etc...

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

16. rollsrock25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm into audio production and editing, and I use ProTools, Logic, Reason; etc. I understand it may be more of a software related issue or topic, but sometimes I have an issue come up, and it makes me question whether or not spending 2k on a laptop was worth it, but then I like to think that's not the case at all and the issues I encounter from time to time are more software related.

For example, if I'm running ProTools, why ever would the famous CPU overload message come up? If I'm running Logic and I have 20 tracks with half of them bogged down with plug-ins, would I encounter a message that I need to increase buffers?

It's sort of like buying an Epiphone guitar vs. a Gibson guitar: Spend three grand on a Gibson and you'll expect that baby to sing for the next hundred years. Buy an Epiphone, change the pick ups..maybe there may be some electronic issues down the line.. :rolleyes:

I know we aren't talking about guitars, but I think maybe I have this misconception that just because you spend money on something, that doesn't mean it's never going to have issues, ESPECIALLY when you put a third party software program on it. I suppose I just asked what the next hardware upgrade would be if you were me because I was looking for someone to say that an SSD would solve the issue of these giant DAW programs or taking a few more seconds more than usual to load up.

Either way though, don't mistake it. I am happiest with the MBP than any computer I've ever owned. I had Dells with Duo Cores and all that blah, and it just doesn't compare. Everything feels so... streamlined. Macs have it down, even with their phones. #endrant

----------

Once every few days, or until it dies :p And I also make the mistake of keeping it plugged in while I'm using it.

I have a feeling my battery life will suffer tremendously if I continue to do this. Fact or myth? :apple:

----------

I opened ProTools, Logic, iMovie, mac Word, Reason, Garage band, iCal.. and five other programs. Didn't even peak over 2.6 out of the 4.

My conclusion is that the audio editing programs just take up a ton of CPU power, and it gives me an error. But with an i5?? :eek: "Are you kiddin' me?" was my first thought...

17. visim91 macrumors 6502

How to make MPB faster?

Just dangle a stick of RAM in front of it.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You obviously didn't read the thread. :rolleyes:

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I think it was meant as joke... like hanging a carrot on a stick before a donkey, to make it run faster :)

The thread title is very inspiring for stupid jokes. I was about to suggest to tape it to a skateboard and let it roll down a hill -> faster!

20. visim91 macrumors 6502

Thank you.