How to make my late 2012 iMac back to as new?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Elektrikz, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Elektrikz macrumors member

Hello,

I am wanting to maybe restore my iMac back to what it was when first switched on?

Just feel it is not running as fast as it should be, What is the best way without deleting my stuff?

Thanks!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

OS X isn't like a PC that requires OS X to be re-installed every few months. Your feeling is probably psychological, however you could benefit from upgrading the RAM too. If you tend to spend a lot of time on RAM intensive apps that would cause a slowdown if you haven't upgraded the RAM.

However to answer your question, restart in Recovery Mode, start Disk Utility and do and Erase the HD, the exit DU and click install OS X.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Backup you stuff first! Then proceed as kaufmann recommended.

An easy check before doing any reinstalls is to create a new user account and operate from it for a bit to see if you still perceive the same system issues. You may need to simply refresh your user account.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think it's most likely your perception. What are the specs of your iMac and what are you running on it that is slow? I would just wait and install the new OS when Mavericks is released in the next few weeks.

5. yliu macrumors regular

You could download programs like Onyx, and do a maintenance and clean up (just be careful what you clean up!) or do a smc reset.

However, it could be normal as computers normally slow down as you put more stuff on them and use them.

6. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Two (VERY) different questions and very different answers.

The answer to your first question deletes your stuff.

The answer to your second question obviates the answer to your first.

Which one do you want?