how to make my macbook perform faster

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by clueless2416, Oct 12, 2010.

1. clueless2416 macrumors newbie

my macbook loads really slow when i click on icons and go onto the internet. i do not want to lose any of my files or music or photos. i am very bad at things like this and will need a very detailed description of how to fix it.:confused:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

is your hard drive almost full, that can make it go slow, if it is then get an external and put some of your files on there to free up some space. Otherwise it's possible that you could need some more RAM, or it could be one of several other things causing it to go slow.

3. clueless2416 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i check to see if my hard drive is full

4. clueless2416 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i repair the macintosh hd disk will that work :confused:

5. BlakeLiebenTH macrumors member

Open up the Finder (click on the little face in the dock). Down the bottom of the window, it should say something like 10 items, 311.13 GB available. That number is how much space you have left on your hard drive.

6. clueless2416 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

So it's far from being full...
    What model do you have? When did you purchase it? Do you thing it's actually slowing down compared to what it did before?

8. clueless2416 thread starter macrumors newbie

its a A1342 i bought it in february and yes it is going slower

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How much RAM do you have in it and what programs are you running?

10. clueless2416 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. sweetie81 macrumors regular

Apple symbol in the top left hand corner. About this MAC ;) Did you buy the computer yourself?

A bit more system information would be hugely appreciated in order to advice more.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you can see how much RAM you have by clicking about this mac under the :apple: menu. and also what programs are you running, if you have a lot running at once that could be making your computer go slow.

13. clueless2416 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am only running safari and still not sure bout the ram :confused:

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you have at least 2GB of RAM in that model so if you are really only running safari it shouldn't be an issue, but to find out how much ram you have click on the apple logo on the top left of the screen and then click on about this mac which will bring up a window with some info about your computer including the amount of memory I attached a screen shot of the window from my computer so you can see what it looks like the ammount of RAM you have is listed next to where it says memory so in my example here you can see that I have 2GB of RAM.
    Another thing you could try is resetting Safari, go to the safari menu and click "reset Safari" you could also go to disk utility and repair permissions. one other thing that could be slowing your computer down is if you have too much stuff on your desktop, try to organize that and put it in a folder somewhere else.

Attached Files: