Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to make something similar to my own iCloud using either a godaddy FTP account or MobileMe account? I would just upload my mp3 folders to the remote location but is there a way to have it either cataloged into a html page with clickable links to the songs to stream or is there an app that could read the ftp folder and generate a library? Why do we need iCloud to do this? There has got to be a way for us to utilize our FTP's for this.

thanks for any advice

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Any web hosting provider will be able to list the contents of a leased space with clickable links. This is not what the "iCloud" purports to be; the main advantages of iCloud will probably be tighter OS integration and streaming to an iDevice. You cannot do this over FTP.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
one thing to keep in mind, many web hosts prohibit using the server as a file server. Check out the TOS before trying to set something up.

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Actually, you can easily upload all your mp3's to web server, do some PHP coding to auto-generate playlists/restrict access to mp3s, and you'l have remote storage. However, that's not the functionality of iCloud - you should also have mp3 play which is smart enough to cache all streamed music, auto-search for new data, etc.

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to make something similar to my own iCloud using either a godaddy FTP account or MobileMe account? I would just upload my mp3 folders to the remote location but is there a way to have it either cataloged into a html page with clickable links to the songs to stream or is there an app that could read the ftp folder and generate a library? Why do we need iCloud to do this? There has got to be a way for us to utilize our FTP's for this.

thanks for any advice

With NICECASTE you can stream music to the web and listen on many different types of devices.

With Iteleport (or similar) you can control you computer from anywhere - therefore changing the song being played.

Not exactly Icloud - but it works for me reasonably well.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I'm an avid mSpot user and have been pleased with its service so far. I use it when I'm on my Windows 7 side and don't have access to my iTunes Library. I also share it with friends who want to listen to my music.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
FTP wouldn't allow you to stream media - you would have to get he file locally and launch a player app to play it.

There are cloud storage services that do allow streaming. ZumoDrive for example has an iOS app that recognizes audio files in your cloud storage and plays them directly (sort of - it actually buffers files locally, but that's behind the scenes).

The speculation seems to be that iCloud will be much more integrated and automated than a simple file locker, but we'll know better next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.