How to make my own PPC/X86 binaries?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Joshuarocks, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Hello,

I am getting into software development of which I plan to write some nice utilities, disk diagnostic software and wondering how do I enable PPC support as well as x86 - in other words, universal binary?

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Assuming you're using XCode you just need to setup the architectures you want under your target(s) build settings.

In fact by the default templates in XCode 3.x are already setup to build university binaries when doing a release build. They are setup to only built for the architecture on which you're developing when doing a debug build.

3. TastyCocoa macrumors newbie

TastyCocoa

Aha! I'd always wondered why xcode compiled twice as many files when I switched from debug to release modes.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Xcode 3.2.6 no longer builds PPC by default though, you have to manually add it in.

5. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

XCode 4 has no PPC support at all and the latest XCode 3.x doesn't build for PPC by default any more. I think the message here is to forget about PPC. In fact perhaps even to forget about i386 too. Just target the modern runtimes in x86_64 and iOS for new development.