How to make my PowerPC read my GoPro Hero 5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by viktorg4, Dec 18, 2016.

1. viktorg4 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have used my Powerbook G4 (15'' 1GB DDR2 & 1.67Ghz) for about two weeks now and it has worked like a charm, I can have presentations with it in Open Office, I can surf the web (takes about 5-6 secs to open a website) and I can also play around in Photoshop and Garageband, great stuff!

One thing I couldn't do, and that I really need to do is to import files to my PowerPC and then placing them on a external HDD. The external HDD part is no problem as my pbook sucessfully reads it.

However, if i plug in my GoPro through the USB, nothing happens on the computer. Do i need to format the micro-sd as a mac-disc? Will the MicroSD still be usable in the gopro if i format it as a mac-disk?

Sorry for a really dizzy description, i'm in a panic as i need this for work in two weeks.

Thanks.

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Try another USB-> MicroSD, the Mac should have no problem reading the Fat32 (presumably) MicroSD card

3. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

If everything else fails and if you've got an iPhone you might use the USB2Lightning- or SD-Card2Lightning-connector and import videos to the camera-roll.
    Then use "iFiles" to create an AFP-connection to your PPC and then import video from camera-roll to any folder of your PPC.
    But you certainly won't be able to view high-res video on the PPC. My C2Duo MB2008 struggles with 4k.

Maybe an external USB-card-reader will do the job too...

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

How big is the micro SD card? If it's 64 GB or higher, there's a good chance it is formatted as exFAT, rather than FAT-32. No PowerPC version of OS X supports the exFAT format. (Even on Intels, it requires 10.6.8 or higher.)

If you are using a 64 GB or higher, try a 32 GB - basically every 32 GB or smaller uses FAT32.

If that doesn't work, then do as bobesch and 128keaton suggest and try an external reader.

5. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

The external USB SD card reader is what I use to import photos/video to both my G5 and G4 powermacs. Here, something like this would work great for your needs (no affiliation) -->

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Reader...1482257073&sr=1-1&keywords=SD+card+reader+OSX

It can read all sorts of card formats including SD and microSD and is compatible with OSX back to 10.2. I also like that it draws power from the USB so no power cable making it great for on-the-go, out of the office, work. Best of luck to you. :)

6. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Hmm, I'd suggest you try firing up a Linux distro. That should support most file systems :)

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Even thought I HIGHLY doubt its a filesystem issue.