How to make pixel perfect pattern repetition?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by twiggy0, Aug 28, 2012.

1. twiggy0, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

twiggy0 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to make a pattern. Let's take these circles for example.

[​IMG]

From having one circle, how do I make each circle spaced out evenly from each other in both the vertical and horizontal axis?

I'm using GIMP on Mac OS.

Usually I'm able to more or less estimate it, but it's never pixel perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not familiar with GIMP specifically, but start by looking for "Align" and "Distribute" Objects. The 1st lines things up in a straight line, the 2nd distributes them evenly. In Pages you more or less line them up and then select them all. "Distribute" then spaces them using the 1st and last objects as anchor points.

Depending on how many and how big you want the pattern you may want to use Pages. Anyway, in Pages you would then "Group" the aligned the and distributed spots, copy and paste... now you have two lines. Align the two lines as needed, group the two lines together, copy and paste...now you have 4. Group, copy, paste = 8. Next iteration = 16, then 32, then 64, etc.

3. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I think what you are looking to do is "seamless tiling"... if you google that term you will find lots of tutorials in photoshop... No special tools are necessary so you can follow them in GIMP as well... you essentially need to turn your pattern "inside out" so the edges align... here is one tutorial:

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/tilings/tilings.htm

4. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! Took some time to do but ended up working beautifully

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of GIMP. However, to precisely create shapes and then step and repeat them, I would use Illustrator and export the results to Photoshop (or GIMP) if that was the format your final art required.