Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to make Safari less of a memory hog?

Jeffois

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Boys and Ladies,

In looking at a possible new laptop, and trying to figure out how much RAM I *really* need, I came across what appears to be an interesting issue:

Same windows and tabs open in each, and Brave is using 3gb(!!) less RAM than Safari is.

I like both browsers. And I realize the simple answer might be, "So use Brave!"

But my question is this...Is there a way to put Safari on a RAM diet? Is there a setting, or a combination of settings that can make Safari less memory-hungry?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Cut down number of extensions. Set History to be cleared once a month.

Biggest thing, limit number of tabs/windows open. Each tab will be a sandboxed version of Safari, so, all the stuff that's in a barebones Safari install, plus the webpage contents, it adds up.

Upside, Safari less of a footprint vs. Firefox, Chrome. Same two tabs, ad blocker extensions in Safari, Firefox (Chrome has Google Drive extension that I think comes as a default):

Safari: 400MB
Firefox: 1GB
Chrome: 779MB

Reactions: Jeffois
Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
Also, don't worry about how much RAM apps use unless the machine seems to be having problems (which is unlikely).

Comment

Jeffois

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Also, don't worry about how much RAM apps use unless the machine seems to be having problems (which is unlikely).

I generally don't, but I'm also trying to figure out if I can reasonably stick to 8gb of RAM in a new machine.
[doublepost=1564871439][/doublepost]
Cut down number of extensions. Set History to be cleared once a month.

Biggest thing, limit number of tabs/windows open. Each tab will be a sandboxed version of Safari, so, all the stuff that's in a barebones Safari install, plus the webpage contents, it adds up.

Upside, Safari less of a footprint vs. Firefox, Chrome. Same two tabs, ad blocker extensions in Safari, Firefox (Chrome has Google Drive extension that I think comes as a default):

Safari: 400MB
Firefox: 1GB
Chrome: 779MB

Well, that's the thing. With the same number of tabs and windows open (the *exact* same web sites/pages), I saw that difference in RAM usage.

Comment

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
With the same number of tabs and windows open (the *exact* same web sites/pages), I saw that difference in RAM usage.

I hear ya. But then we're back to the "just use Brave" point. ;)

But like @chabig said, unless system crawling, don't worry. I'd be more concerned with other programs and their memory usage. I recently got a Macbook Pro with only 8GB, and no memory pressure. Before that, 6GB, again, no memory pressure.

For example, I use VirtualBox to run a Win10 VM on occasion, eats lots of RAM, but no memory alerts.

Comment

Jeffois

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
I hear ya. But then we're back to the "just use Brave" point. ;)

But like @chabig said, unless system crawling, don't worry. I'd be more concerned with other programs and their memory usage. I recently got a Macbook Pro with only 8GB, and no memory pressure. Before that, 6GB, again, no memory pressure.

For example, I use VirtualBox to run a Win10 VM on occasion, eats lots of RAM, but no memory alerts.

That's really good news. I'm currently on a mid-2014 MBP, with 16gb. Only reason I have that much RAM is that my mid-2010 had been a lemon, and the Apple Store offered me a free replacement, and the one I have now had been released that week, with the 16gb as the stock configuration. I would have gone for a 13" machine then, but, you know, free is free...

Anyway, point is, if I can run things well on 8, no point in spending on the 16. I'm not a power user. I run the Office apps, email, Messages, Banktivity, etc...nothing intensive. I just tend to leave lots of apps and tabs open.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.