How to make sure emails left on server?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Hey I just got a new iPhone and I have to say that I am still in shock--this thing is the best device I have purchased in my life period.

I have used the iphone before in the store, but owning one and exploring alll of its capabilites thus far is just amazing. I can't believe it.

Anyways, I was wondering how I can make sure that I am not deleting my emails from the server after I download them to my iphone. Is there a setting somewhere?

The best thing for me would be to leave them on the server, unless I delete them manually on the phone; then, somehow the phone tells the server to delete only those messages that I manually deleted.

Is this possible? Thanks!

2. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

It depends on the service you're using. If you're using Gmail, you should go to gmail.com and change the settings in there. It will ask you what you want to do with your email. It's in the IMAP settings section.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Have you ever set up an email account on the phone? It's in the Advanced section.

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Not for every email service provider. There are no such options with a Hotmail account in the Advanced section.

OP, it depends on what email you're using. Check in the Advanced settings, just in case.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just make sure you're using IMAP; if you're using the autoconfig settings like the ones for Gmail, etc, then you don't have to worry.

If you want to be sure in some services (ie: Gmail), you can disable POP3 access.

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Must be an echo in here.