How to make sure hosts files are good to go?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Oct 12, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Before using TU to preserve 1.59.00 before shift+restoring to 4.1?

On a mac. thanks. just want to make sure I got all the grounds covered before I do this and have a baseband I can't unlock (in Europe right now).

2. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

not an answer but related...

allow me to add....
    since im on AT&T I wanted to update my baseband, i was allowing itunes to do its normal upgrade path. It ran into problems (1013 error?) at the last step. I figured this was due to my modified Hosts file (windows 7).

so i had to put the host file back to stock, i did the upgrade again, and it went through the second time. Here is what the last 4 lines of a stock host file looks like incase anyone wants to put their host file back without reinstalling all of itunes.

you need to reboot the machine after making changes as an administrator to the file with notepad.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

Looks like that's my hosts file (which I haven't touched yet). Does everything look good to go? Seems like same line thats needed at the end as in the instructions for prepping the hosts file, but with the # in front of it. Does it matter?

4. Cap41 macrumors 6502

That is the cydia server. the lines with # at the front are "comment" out. Meaning they are to be ignored. I find it peculiar that 2 of the lines are commented out and 1 is active. but it looks fine.

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

# and "to be ignored" concerns me.

Maybe I'll hold off on trying to update to 4.1 and preserve baseband until I get back to the States in January.

Studying abroad and need the unlock. I have a beat up 3GS on standby, unlocked too, but I really don't want to stop using my iPhone 4 :)

Can anyone else clarify this one? Thanks.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your host file is pointing to Saurik at this time instead of apple. Even though you have two commented out entries for Saurik there is still one active one. That is not a bad thing because it will prove impossible to get the baseband update in your case. The reason is that apple introduced baseband signing with IP4. Since both Tiny umbrella and Saurik spoof the Firmware signing on restores but are not equipped to spoof the baseband signing. You prevent the baseband upgrade by either upgrading to 4.1 though Tiny umbrella or Saurik. Both of these systems will sign the firware but not the baseband and you will get a 1004 error and no baseband upgrade which will require to kick the phone out of recovery with Tiny Umbrella.

Your Host file is a mess it should be tidied up.

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

How do I tidy up my host file and how did it get messed up?

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It looks like you have some ad blocker or something installed. That's what all those 127.0.0.1 are.

Or now that I look at it again, I'm pretty sure you have to add all those to be able to steal Adobe products like Photoshop or Dreamweaver....

9. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Looks like it.. Why would you blacklist all those Adobe hosts otherwise, particularly the ones dealing with activation.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL this is funny :D:D

12. ignus graius macrumors regular

+1

13. ignus graius macrumors regular

Seriously though, open up a command line window (Start>Run type "cmd" [without quotes] and press ENTER). Type "ping gs.apple.com" (without quotes) and verify that it's pinging 74.208.10.249 and not something else like 17.151.36.30. If it's pinging 74.208.10.249 then you know that you'll be using Saurik's server for an iPhone restore.

If you're using Tiny Umbrella, then it should automatically modify your hosts file (at least it does in OS X). To verify you're using Tiny Umbrella, ping gs.apple.com while it's running and it should start showing 127.0.0.1

14. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I LOL'd so hard when I saw this hosts file and all of those obvious signs of piracy.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

+1 LOL this thread just get better and better :D:D

16. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

How do I ping it on os x ?

17. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Tried modifying hosts file to clean it up:

[​IMG]

it just does # next to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com and creates 127.0.0.1 after. Is this ok?