How to make sure I am buying an 'authentic' MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jas5279, Oct 10, 2017.

1. jas5279 macrumors member

Okay, so here's the thing, I am buying a MBP 2017 soon. I am in a place where there are no Apple stores and local computer stores sell MBPs which they import from different countries, I assume. Needless to say, I do NOT trust any of these computer stores as most of the time they are selling used/refurbished etc. claiming it to be brand new. They can even make the packaging look like as if I am just getting it from an Apple store. So long story short - I need to know what I should check while buying to make sure that the piece I am buying is indeed brand new (never used, never refurbished etc.). Is there a way I can check the serial number mentioned on the box and the MBP itself on Apple site (or a third party site) which can tell me if the piece is brand new - never fired up before - full warranty intact. Or any other way (or multiple ways) to make sure I am buying an authentically brand new piece.

People from US and other first world countries may find this post very weird but bear with me. Let me know if there are any fool-proof ways of finding out. A quick example: I was in the market to buy iPhone 6S 2 years ago. Every store claimed the that the phones they have are brand new. There was a site (I don't remember the name) where I put in the serial number and it would tell me if the phone has ever been activated. And every single one of those phones was activated (mostly in Japan) as the last carrier it showed was from Japan. And every single store claimed that it is brand new and never opened box before. So now you know why I am so paranoid and want fool-proof methods of checking if the MBP I'll be buying is brand new or not.

Thanks for the help!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

3. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Besides checking the serial #, make sure you can log into the machine and lock it your iCloud account and that there is no firmware password on the machine.

4. jerryk macrumors 601

If you travel outside the country you could buy it on trip in a real Apple store.

5. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I've never seen a fake MacBook Pro. Have you?

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

7. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

you can't buy it direct from the apple store and have it shipped?

8. jas5279 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, this is quite useful. Suppose the MB is brand new, what shall I see when I check the coverage? Something like 'warranty not activated yet'?

Very useful tip. Thank you!

9. jas5279 thread starter macrumors member

If I am right, the latest MBP is the one with Kabylake processor, right? While buying the MBP, how to ensure that I am indeed buying the latest one (the one with Kabylake)? Thank you!

10. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

The most epic story of getting back at scammers ever!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    With a wifi connection, go to the Apple menu and select About. The dialog will show the year, model, processor, etc.

11. jas5279 thread starter macrumors member

So it will say 'Kabylake' there if it's the latest one? This is very helpful, thanks!

12. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Sorry, maybe not kabylake, but the speed. I caught that after I posted but you replied before I could correct it.

I assume if you know the year and processor speed you should know if it's kabylake or not. This screen,

[​IMG]

13. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a