How to make text bigger system-wide

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebottle, Nov 8, 2010.

1. bluebottle macrumors newbie

I’m trying to help my mum set up her imac and she has asked me to help make the text bigger on the screen. I’ve shown her how to zoom on word/safari/etc, however ideally I want to make all the text on the computer bigger - eg. menus at top of screen, finder text, etc...

The first thing I tried was adjusting the display resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 or 1280x720, but this seemed to make the screen blurry.

Does anyone know if there is any other way that I can help make the text bigger for all system elements?

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, until we get resolution independence, this is not as easy as it sounds. I'm not aware of a built-in way to increase the font on all system elements. You can do it on each application and there are mods to change the system font. You'd need to do some searching on that, as I haven't done it myself. In the Universal Access pane of System Preferences, you can alter some zoom preferences that may help.

3. bluebottle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks dissolve - I guess I will just have to try and go app by app!

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Not ideal, I know. Hopefully someone will help out with system-wide mods you could have a look at. I've never explored them, but it could be a possibility. Not the simplest solution though. Apple mentioned resolution independence alongside 10.6, but who knows when it will materialize.