How to make the keyboard backlight automatically turn off in fullscreen mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snookerman, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Snookerman macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro core i5 and I would like the keyboard backlight to turn off automatically when I go into fullscreen mode when I watch a video. Is there any setting I can change, so I don't have to turn it off manually every time I watch a movie? Thanks!

2. torpy macrumors regular

As far as I know, there isn't such an option. You're going to have to deal with manually turning it off each time or disabling it all together :(

3. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

Bummer, I would expect that option from a mac. Does anyone know if there is any application I can download that will give me the option? Thanks!

4. chikit macrumors newbie

you would rather search for an application and install it, than simply press one button to dim the keyboard? :confused:

5. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

It might not be clear from what I asked, but I also want it to turn back on when I go out of fullscreen mode. If it's dark, it's not that easy to find the button. Besides, I have it on auto, I don't want to mess with the buttons all the time.

6. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Get Plex. Plex has the option of turning off the backlight when going into full screen mode.

8. RobbieTT macrumors member

I was trying to find a way to do this too. In the end I found setting the keyboard to automatically turn off the illumination after a set period to be the best compromise. I mean, I don't really need the keyboard to be illuminated all the time and it lights up again with a touch of the trackpad or any key.

It's under System Preferences - Keyboard; then set the slider to delay of your choice. Mine is currently set at 1 minute so the lights go off during the intro credits yet does not interfere with normal work. It may save a fraction of a watt too!

9. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502