How to make The Unarchiver support asian character?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hidehide, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. hidehide macrumors 6502

    May 1, 2007
    When I extract files with asian character, the file name will be wrong character.
    or if the password contains asian character, the unarchiver cant extract it..

    Does anyone has this problem??
  2. hawaiian macrumors member


    Part of doing compression and decompression is making assumptions about how the data is represented, which includes the encoding. So if the compression relies on ASCII and you're using Unicode, then the characters will be screwed up at compression time. A lot of times files can have multiple character sets but the name of the file must be in ASCII. So if you're file is coming out ok but the name of the file and the password is messed up, that's probably what's happening. For example, when I make .pdf files, the name that I use for the file has to be in ASCII but the content can have asian characters.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5


    Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I've seen this happen before. The fix is to tell The Unarchiver not to guess the encoding of the file, but have it ask you (and you tell it what encoding to use, assuming you know what the correct encoding is).

    Usually, when the Unarchiver encounters a file it can't guess the encoding of, it'll ask you which one to use. In your case, it seems to be guessing incorrectly.
  4. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 1, 2007
    The Unarchiver never ask me the encoding, it just extract itself after i double click it ..
    However, when I use unrarx, there is no problem..
    But I want to standardize to use The Unarchiver in every compressed file..

    Editted, ok, i just found out the threshold feature in The Unarchiver..
    But no matter I set what %, it still never ask me the encoding..
  5. hawaiian macrumors member


    It probably won't ever ask you for the encoding, but rather, will make assumptions about what encoding is used based on the "type" of the file. But that too is my assumption about the programming team's assumptions.

Share This Page