How to make Update automatically re-try?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greengiant129, Jan 7, 2012.

1. greengiant129 macrumors newbie

I am on a dial-up connection and also sharing with one other person via wireless router, so whenever I try to do the Software Update in Snow Leopard, after a while I get something about "could not connect to server" although if I try to Update again, it starts off at how much it already downloaded.

It there a way to make it keep trying to do the Update instead of giving the error? So I can have it running when I sleep and at work so it can update already instead of taking forever.

2. simsaladimbamba

What about downloading the update from http://support.apple.com/downloads, maybe even via a download manager, that can get around those issues you have (continue downloading after a break)?

3. greengiant129 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, this is terrible...I spent all night and day yesterday and today grabbing the combined update for Snow Leopard, and when it asked me to restart it said it failed just as it was finishing up (running scripts or whatever), and when my Macbook Pro rebooted, it showed the Apple logo with the status bar underneath it, and just as it was moving forwarding (filling the bar in with gray), it the status bar started blinking and then my Macbook Pro just shut down. I tried turning it back on but it kept repeating that.

I tried booting with my Snow Leopard DVD and repairing the disk with Disk Utility, but it said 'Invalid Key Length' and said it could not repair the disk so I had to back it up by installing Snow Leopard on an external hard drive so I could copy over the files from the broken drive.

Maybe somewhere along the lines where the download was being interrupted, the file got corrupt? There's no MD5 sum to check or anything so I can't be sure.