How to: Make your ipad 2 back cover work with ipad 3 - AND 3rd party smart cover fix

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Dealwagon, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Dealwagon macrumors newbie

Ok, so you have an ipad 2 with a fake smart cover that doesnt turn it on and off, and your old snap on back cover wont quite fit. Here's the solution. (This is just what I did. Dont come blaming me if you mess it up.)

1. Smart cover. The new ipad is triggered (on and off) by a single magnet. This magnet HAS to be the correct polarity to work. If it doesnt work on the ipad 3 but it does on the ipad 2, all you need to do it cut is out carefully (think exacto) from the inside of the cover, flip it, and put it back in. (Location of on off magnet here: http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/smart-cover-magnets.jpg )
    If you are careful and cut us with a sharp knife, you can use a tiny touch of hot glue and the incision will almost dissapear. :) Careful using glue that could scratch the screen.

2. Back cover. My casecrown snap on smart cover compatible back cover didnt quite fit the ipad 3, but it was close. SO, I turned on my oven (yep oven) and set it to 170F (the lowest setting on the oven). I put the back cover (NOT THE IPAD) in the oven on a towl (important) and checked it every 2-3 minutes until it was hot. When quite hot, but not melting, take it out and snap it on the ipad. The cold aluminum will cool it almost immediately, and it will be reshaped to the new size. Works perfect!

This was my cheapo way to get back to the perfect case combo for the $$. I have like $6 in the back cover and $12 in the smart cover. Now they both work perfect on the new ipad. :)

2. dealmaker macrumors regular

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Shrink the iPad not the case!

Rather than heat the case to stretch it I found it easier to shrink the iPad. I'd hate to "overcook" my $4.99 case and ruin it and maybe void the case's warranty.

DISCLAIMER: For the "New" iPad(3) only! Do not try this on the iPad 2 or it might damage the washer.

Step 1) Put the "New" iPad(3) in the washer using gentle cycle for 2 minutes. (DO NOT use detergent as it may fade the color). White iPad a little bleach is OK, no bleach with the black iPad or either of the LTE iPads.

IMPORTANT! Remove iPad before the spin cycle starts or you might damage the washer!

Step 2) After wash cycle is over stop the machine, do NOT let it go through the rinse cycle. It should be no more that 3-5 minutes in the wash.

Step 3) After wash is complete shake the iPad vigorously to drain any extra water, make sure the charge jack is pointing down when you shake it (this will allows any pixels that came loose in the wash to fall out the bottom).

Step 4) Put iPad in dryer (use "high temperature" setting if you have one). After 3 minutes and 13 seconds remove iPad.

If you followed the directions exactly you will now see the "New" iPad(3) has shrunk just enough to fit into that $10 case and the case warranty is still intact.

Fine print:

• Applies only to "New" iPad 3
    • Not recommended by Apple, but hey, you read it on the internet so it's true!
    • Washed "New" iPad(3) may not be covered by Applecare+ after washing.
    • In case you didn't realize the above is a JOKE. You didn't REALLY think I was serious did you? :p

Thanks to the OP for helping me come up with this variation on his mod.

4. Dealwagon thread starter macrumors newbie

I can confirm the post immediately above doesnt work.. Got a wet ipad now. :(

lol

5. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

But, but, won't the use of detergent fix the yellow screens? And won't this process permanently fix overheating??

Seems to me you've come up with the ultimate solution to all the complaints. Brilliant!

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Then you never put it in the dryer. You have to follow instructions!

No on the yellow screens unless you used Tide with "bleach, borax and whiteners." Mine still gets hot but when it does soap bubbles come out of the headphone port when Lawrence Welk music is playing.