Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
I know some of you guys have an iPhone 3G (like myself), and I know that the 3G is pretty slow, when running the iOS 4. Here are some steps to make your iPhone 3G faster.
Step 1: Open Safari and close ALL opened web pages. When you have a lot of pages opened, the iPhone becomes slower, since it uses more RAM memory to keep those pages opened all the time.
Step 2: Go to Setting->General->Home Button->Spotlight search and uncheck everything. By doing this you turn off Spotlight search, and the iPhone will run a bit faster. DON'T forget to reboot your iPhone after doing this.
Step 3: The iPhone 3G does have some sort of multitasking. This means that even tough you quit and app, the iPhone doesn't completely close the app.To close ALL apps running, Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the "Slide to power off" slide appears. Now hold the Home Button for about 7 seconds, until the iPhone returns to the Home Screen.By doing this, the iPhone closes all apps that are running.
Step 4: Don't forget to periodically Turn Off your iPhone. Don't keep it on for more than 2 days.
Step 5: Enjoy your new iPhone 3G.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Step 1: Open Safari and close ALL opened web pages. When you have a lot of pages opened, the iPhone becomes slower, since it need the RAM memory to keep those pages opened all the time.
I haven't used a 3G in awhile now, and never with iOS4, but I thought the 3G didn't use RAM to keep pages open. Doesn't it reload them each time?

Step 3: The iPhone 3G does have some sort of multitasking. This means that even tough you quit and app, the iPhone doesn't completely close the app.To close ALL apps running, Hold the Sleep/Wake button until the "Slide to power off" slide appears. Now hold the home button for about 7 seconds, until the iPhone returns to the Home Screen.By doing this, the iPhone closes all apps that are running.
Um . . . I don't think the 3G does any multitasking.

Step 1: Upgrade your 2+ year old phone. It might not sound old, but 2 years is ancient when it comes to technology.

Step 2: If step one isn't possible, then downgrade to 3.1.3.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Your App closing procedure only works for the current application you're in. Only a power cycle frees the RAM otherwise.

lawlotovcocktai

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
If you go into settings > general > home > search results (at the bottom), and you uncheck everything, it's supposed to help significantly, because it takes a lot of available ram to keep everything categorized for quick searching (or so I was told). Hope that helps!

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
If you go into settings > general > home > search results (at the bottom), and you uncheck everything, it's supposed to help significantly, because it takes a lot of available ram to keep everything categorized for quick searching (or so I was told). Hope that helps!
I already said that in my 1st post.
UP
UP
UP

FunkyGuitarGirl

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Riverdale, MD
My iPhone 3G was getting draggy even before the upgrade to iOS4.

Unchecking all of the Spotlight apps does speed things up tho. I just did that a few days ago... but.. my iPhone 4 is on the way so.. bah.

I will likely continue to use my iPhone as a iPod Touch tho...

nick1817

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
* the 3G may be two year old tech, but I've owned it for less than a year, so to me its new(ish)

* My 3g runs it ok; my wife's runs it like a dog. No idea why

* There's no easy way to get back to 3.x

* a software update that cripples a phone should be easily fixable or removable; and isn't.

* Apple store basically said "sorry", and that only a new phone restore could possibly/maybe/sorta/maybe not help. Losing all my contacts isn't desirable

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
The only thing that really improved speed on mine was the spotlight trick. Turning off all spotlight features made a MAJOR improvement on mine

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Actually thats not true. If you both own 3G (not 3GS) its as simple as downloading the ipsw package (found easily with a google search) and then holding option while clicking restore. You can than select the psw package to use and voila!...downgraded. :apple:

Sorry it doesnt work that easy I've tried. You also need to downgrade itunes to the correct version as well. At least thats the latest i read before I gave up on downgrading. iOS4 downgrades are a much bigger pita than 3.xx was

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
You CAN downgrade to 3.1.3. Just download the iPhone 3.1.3 firmware from here. Once you've done that, open iTunes (if doesn't matter what version you have), and press shift+restore(on a PC) or option+restore(on a Mac). This will open a new window, from which you can chose the firmware to restore to. Choose the 3.1.3 firmware and click "Restore".
Warning! By doing this, your iPhone will be Restored to the 3.1.3 firmware, so you will lose everything on your iPhone.
Advice! Make a Backup first.

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Tried it three times and each time it crapped out on verification. Im running a iMAC desktop though that could be part of the reason I hear this is easier to perform on a PC. Regardless come over, downgrade my phone as easy as you say it is and I'll give you fifty bucks on the spot.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Apple store basically said "sorry", and that only a new phone restore could possibly/maybe/sorta/maybe not help. Losing all my contacts isn't desirable
Use iTunes to sync your contact information before you reset it as a new phone. You can then setup your phone as a new one, and then resync your contact info back. If you don't want to mess with a computer, you can sign up for a free 60-day MobileMe trial. That'll sync all of your contacts/calendar to the "cloud". After you setup your phone as a new one, you can sign back into MobileMe and it'll download your contacts from the cloud for you.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Tried it three times and each time it crapped out on verification. Im running a iMAC desktop though that could be part of the reason I hear this is easier to perform on a PC. Regardless come over, downgrade my phone as easy as you say it is and I'll give you fifty bucks on the spot.

It looks like I missed a step...you may need an application called RecBoot. Try the steps found here:

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g%5Bs%5D-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Cool thanks. I'll give it a try when i can risk downtime with the phone but for now its pretty decent again thankfully

nick1817

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Use iTunes to sync your contact information before you reset it as a new phone. You can then setup your phone as a new one, and then resync your contact info back. If you don't want to mess with a computer, you can sign up for a free 60-day MobileMe trial. That'll sync all of your contacts/calendar to the "cloud". After you setup your phone as a new one, you can sign back into MobileMe and it'll download your contacts from the cloud for you.

using mobile me was what I planned on doing (contacts).

I am patiently waiting for the 4.1 before I roll hers back. She has a ton of apps she doesn't feel like setting back up and blah blah as well. Setting up as a new phone is just a PITA; and I really don't feel like I should have to resort to this to have a working phone.

Joey Tribiani

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
It worked for me. Mine was well slow and done the hard reset and it is miles better. For how long I don't know.

macsimo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Scotia, NY/Clermont, FL
My 3G was not functional after updating to iOS4. So I used jailbreakme.com on my 3G, and it's back to its old speedy self. No problems at all. If anything, it is faster than before I updated to iOS4. All apps work as they should. If and when Apple decides to correct the problem with 3G owners, you can always restore using iTunes. Give it a shot!

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
The thing is that Apple is GAY. Admit it...
My Old Nokia from 2007 doesn't lag when typing, and it doesn't have a 600MHZ Processor or 128 MB of RAM. The only difference between those 2 phones (they're both black with a 2MP camera) is that the iPhone 3G was a different operating system. That's all!
So Apple should update the iPhone 3G and the 2G(WTH not?) to a different version of iOS that doesn't lag.
Do you agree with me?

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
My 3G was not functional after updating to iOS4. So I used jailbreakme.com on my 3G, and it's back to its old speedy self. No problems at all. If anything, it is faster than before I updated to iOS4. All apps work as they should. If and when Apple decides to correct the problem with 3G owners, you can always restore using iTunes. Give it a shot!

Odd thing is I depend on mobile email for work its an absolute necessity for me so I never JB'd my phone thinking this would be the safest way to keep everything hunky dory so to speak.

A friend of mine bought a 3G the same month as I did ( two years ago ) and he instantly jb'd his phone and who do you think has had ZERO issues and who has had bricked up bull **** numerous times? Yup hes running strong and problem free and I've had a **** load of issues with mine.

Go figure.

Long story short anyone in doubt of jail breaking their phone? Dont doubt it just do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.