HOW TO: Making your Apple Bumper fit snugly!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RafaelT, Jun 30, 2010.

1. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

So I know that myself and many other people on here have had problems with the Apple Bumper not fitting snugly. There seems to be just a small amount of play.

Here is a quick solution that will remove the play from the bumper, and all the parts other than the pair of scissors are provided by Apple.

Instructions:

1. Find the white manual holder that came with your iPhone. It is made out out glossy white card stock paper. If your not willing to sacrifice that then find something that is the same thickness.

2. Cut a strip off that will fit the entire length of the right side of the bumper.

3. Put that strip into the bumper.

4. Apply the bumper to the iPhone and be happy.

This fix should work for most people. If you intentionally try to make the bumper move it probably still will, however it shouldn't do it anymore while you are using the phone normally. You can always add more of the card stock to the other side to remove additional play if you need to.

Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

2. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Thanks for sharing this, OP, but I don't want to have to mod something that cost me $30, you know? Gah.

3. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You know, I agree with you a 100% but at the same time I am kind of stuck. I can't use the phone without a case, and I like to keep my case very minimal... like the bumper. And other then the fit, I love the bumper. But yeah, it does not seem right to have to mod an Apple product to make it work. I am kind of let down.

4. evanavevan macrumors member

evanavevan

I was able to get it pretty snug by rolling up a small piece of electrical tape on either side, sticky side facing out, and just stuck it between the phone and bumper. electrical tape isn't very sticky so it doesn't really leave a residue but it's sticky enough just to grip it and stop it from sliding around

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I just have a full body skin on the front back and sides and it fits like a champ.

6. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Same here. My Wrapsol Ultra made it fit perfectly. :D

7. Psant macrumors regular

Do you mind taking some pictures of your setup? I was planning on doing the same thing when my phone comes in.

8. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

Yep I have the front and back skins and it fits great. I am getting tired of having to add onto or modify my iPhone and/or accessories to make the work properly!:mad:

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Jeeze I mod a tool that cost me 20k making something better is the American way.

10. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

Yes but for consumer devices and accessories we shouldn't have to.

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

You don't HAVE to do anything. The bumper works just fine without any modification. But like everything in this world that you can purchase with your hard earned cash, you can improve it if you desire.

I just put a black bumper on mine today and really like it. I have a full-protection invisible shield installed as well, and I don't seem to notice any wiggling of the bumper around the phone. Just feels nice and solid. The OP's suggestion seem easy enough for people unsatisfied though!

And though I never had any dropped calls, the bumper has eliminated any bar drops on my phone no matter how I try and hold it.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

depends on how picky you are. it's not like the bumper does not work.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

There must be sample variation in the bumpers, because mine does not exhibit looseness.

14. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I was just going to say that. I just picked up a bumber today (black and green was all that they had at South Coast Plaza in CA) Anyways, it's pretty pretty snugly. I was trying to "make" it wiggle, but it doesn't... Still that's a good idea, and if it gets loose, I will use this mod. Thanks...

15. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Thanks for the tip. I was very disappointed in the amount of play it has. Doesn't seem to really fix the reception either.

16. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

is anyone having a issue with the bumper lifting your screen shields ?

17. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Boil it. It works a lot better and you dont have paper inside your case.

18. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Mine does a little. However, now that the bumper is somewhat settled it doesn't lift my screen shield as much. Still an issue, but not a big issue.

19. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

wonder if there is a way to fix the lifting issue, maybe some extra skin to line the edges of the shields to prevent the lifting gap ? I dont know i will mess around and see what i come up with.

20. pepe50 macrumors member

My bumper was loose since I got it a week ago. Played golf in 95 degree heat today. Bumper now fits perfectly. BTW, used Golfshot GPS app and it was awesome.

21. ok.Eric macrumors member

I'm glad you said that, it's as if it cured to the phone's shape.

22. jasonwilldermoo macrumors newbie

I left mine sitting in my hot car for about a week, I was mad at it for being so loose. It fits like a glove now.

23. richard371 macrumors 68020

I took mine off the phone and ran a hair dryer around it slowly and close (esp in the loose areas)for several minutes. Now it fits perfectly. No movement at all. Some say you can boil too.

24. james92se macrumors 6502a

I did this same thing a few weeks ago, except I took a plain 3x5 card and cut it to fit the entire perimeter of the inside of the bumper. Doing this helped tremendously but still wasn't "right". My white bumper was EXTREMELY loose.

I noticed a few posts here about a week ago regarding boiling the bumper. I was skeptical because I thought it might warp the bumper or curl the edges or something.

I boiled (in a rolling boil) my white bumper twice for 1 minute at a time, then cooled it off immediately under the sink faucet.

This did WONDERS for my white bumper. It didn't warp or curl the bumper at all, and the bumper fits like an absolute glove. With the bumper on the phone, I can't budge/move/tweak the bumper at all, even if I try. I love it. This is how the bumper should have fit from the factory.

So, all in all, you guys boil your bumpers! Seriously, it's the way to go.

25. Cuthbert macrumors regular

If it makes you feel any better: the case cost you nothing in the end.