How to manage 1T Mac HDD ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jigsb007, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    i am new at Mac. i have just bought 27" iMac with 1T HDD i5, Also i am planning to install VMware so that i can have windows installed too.

Is there a specific way to do partitions ? or i simply use 1 big partition for that ?

My requirement is , i should be able to use Mac AND Windows both for my Photos/music/Docs/videos.

How should i manage, so that i works gr8 !

i was planning to make 2 Partition ( 400 GB + 600 GB )
    in 400, i installl Mac + vmware ( Win ) and in 600 i keep all my media /docs. So that i can use in both.

Is that the best way ? if yes then what type of Formating i should use so that Both can understand ?

Please give your thoughts..

2. simsaladimbamba

If you use Windows via VMWare Fusion, then there is no need for partitioning your HDD, as Windows run via VMWare Fusion can access data on HFS+ (Mac OS X file system, also called "Mac OS Extended") formatted volumes without problems, if you configure the file sharing correctly, for which there is the VMWare Fusion help and also the Knowledge Base on the internet.

PS: I have an iMac with a 500GB HDD and partitioned 100GB for Mac OS X and 400GB just for my user folder, so if something frells up, I can simply reinstall Mac OS X and use the User folder again, without backing it up, though backing up important data an external HDD is recommended, as all HDDs will fail.