How to manage permissions policys?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gustavopi, Jul 24, 2009.

1. gustavopi macrumors member

I'd configure an Apache server at my macmini with php and mysql. All working good. But Leopard made a mass with permissions. I'm losing a lot of develop time fixing permissions. Since I'm using it as a testing server, there is no reason for permissions anyway. I'd select all files and folders and give it all permissions by finder and FTP (using Fetch). But the new files become with zero permissions and files created by apache with a lot of restrictions. Not even me with admin user can delete some files - only by Terminal.

How can I fix this? I mean, instead buying a PC with Windows...

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've never had permission issues with Leopard on my web server. What did you do that started the problem? What are some examples of file permissions that you need to fix?

3. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

I got issues since the beggining. I'd start changing the root folder: that was a long fight. Then, after a while working good, an upgrade (10.5.x to 10.5.y) mess up. I'd got to change the permissions of the folder below the root - and with Terminal using Unix commands. That's what is all about. Today is like this, tomorrow - who knows? That's no good for me, I must to find out how to take control of permissions, if I want to keep working on Leopard.

4. gustavopi thread starter macrumors member

Apple doesn't wanna hear about!

That's interesting: I'd wrote a post just like this one at Apple Discussions so they can hear my complain - I don't like talking behind. The first post was a little hard, so I post other one focusing at the question.

They delete my post!!! Can u beleive it ?!? That's never happens to me before!

I work making foruns and blogs and I say to my customers to not doing this - it's allways better people talking bad about you AT HOME than over the Internet, burning you behind your back.

Macmini is a great machine in Brasil, because is the same selled at USA and PC's are not - most of it came from China... But even a Ferrari got to run, or I'll be forced do buy a FIAT - that's the point.