How to manage photos between Mac and iPhone 6 ?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by tonixity, Oct 12, 2014.

1. tonixity macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro Rétina and an iPhone 6 and I encounter huge trouble managing photos between both devices.

I want both devices to have its photos synched just like it is with iTunes musics. When I delete a picture on my iphone or my Mac i want it deleted from both devices at least when I plug them together. Moreover I'd like some albums/events on my MAC not to be copied on my iPhone.

I disabled iCloud photos because it worsened everything.

Thanks

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Without third party apps like dropbox this cannot happen natively until photos is released for Yosemite early in 2015.

3. tonixity thread starter macrumors newbie

So at least what's the best way to manage photos with iPhotos and my iPhone ?
    I want pictures to synchronize each time i plug my iPhone.

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

The new Photo Library features combined with the Photos app for Mac coming some time in early 2015 should do exactly what you want. For now, there is no perfect solution. The closest you can get is to use third-party apps.

For instance, I use Dropbox / Carousel (Dropbox's apps for photo management) for all my photos. Any photos taken on my devices get uploaded automatically to Dropbox. I can view, manage, and delete these photos using Dropbox, Carousel or any number of third-party apps on any of my devices, and the deletions and edits will be synced across all devices.

The odd man out here is the photos that are still stored locally in the Photos app on the phone/tablet. My trick is I just ignore them. Since they're all uploaded immediately to Dropbox, I just don't use the built-in app at all, and when I start to run low on space, I'll just delete all of the built-in photos. It's not perfect, but it's far more practical and less confusing that Apple's very half-assed Photo Stream solution.

5. tonixity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much !

I'll stick with the old method meaning managing them by hand on iPhoto and on my iPhone.

6. UMPELGRUMP6 macrumors newbie

UMPELGRUMP6

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting.

Irrespective of which iPhone you've got.

I'm on a 5s, and have been getting pretty fed up with wanting to backup photos into a place where I can 'see' them (which for me means seeing them in a folder in some form of structure) on a backup device, and the only option seems to be iPhoto - which seems very "apple-like" in that you don't actually know where your photos are.