How to manually configure Airport Extreme for HP Mediasmart Server Remote Access?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CLuv, Dec 28, 2009.

1. CLuv macrumors 6502

I have an HP EX490 Mediasmart Server that I'm trying to get Remote Access to work with my Airport Extreme (N/Giga version). Unfortunately HP doesn't recommend the Airport Extreme for Remote Access use since it doesn't support UPnP. I followed one guy's steps to manually configure the port forwarding to get Remote Access to work, based upon comments it works for some and doesn't work for others. I've provided screenshots that match his instructions, and I was wondering if anyone has had luck and are there extra steps since I have the latest firmware on my Airport Extreme? I really don't feel like buying another wireless router if possible, but if I need to, any recommendations that has a USB port so I can print wireless with my current printer?

Attached Files:

2. MCP macrumors newbie

have you tried rebooting the mediaserver and your machine? the different forums i've read have all suggested this is good practice after making such changes.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Do you have a modem in front of your AEBS connecting you to your ISP?

4. CLuv thread starter macrumors 6502

MCP, yep tried both but no luck.

Chris L. - If i'm reading this correctly, I would say yes.

Cable Feed -> Cable Modem -> AEBS -> Network Devices (That's how the chain goes).

I even tried setting each port individually instead of listing the all together, and that worked.

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65832

Cliff3

The WHS Console help file describes the configuration process accurately, and mine works fine. You only need to set up forwarding for ports 80, 443, and 4125. I created separate maps for each port rather than combining them.

Attached Files:

6. ckny macrumors newbie

Cliff... I have set up my AEBS exactly as you have (even to the ip ranges and ip assignment of the media smart server).

I had remote access working on my EX470, but I now have a new 490 and can't seem to get it to work. Every time it tells me Remote Access is not available. I've double checked the home server ip address and the mac address. Anything you can suggest that I might be overlooking? My screen shots match yours. I also turned off windows firewall on the server. No dice.

7. 4buckster macrumors newbie

Something else to check

I had a similar problem and found that my ISP (DSL) was actually blocking 80 and 443 on the modem. When I contacted them they wanted me to "upgrade" my account. Switched ISP's (Cable Modem) and fixed it right up!
    Food for thought.