Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0bert99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
i completely messed up my system, but for somereason had a snapshot of my top 100 played songs in itunes. i want to put the "played" ranking again so it'll sort of be like before, is there anyway to do this by hand without playing the songs over and over again? (the top played is 246 times...)

i tried updating it in the library.xml but it seemed to have no effect.

thanks in advance!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
r0bert99 said:
i completely messed up my system, but for somereason had a snapshot of my top 100 played songs in itunes. i want to put the "played" ranking again so it'll sort of be like before, is there anyway to do this by hand without playing the songs over and over again? (the top played is 246 times...)

i tried updating it in the library.xml but it seemed to have no effect.

thanks in advance!

That's the only way that I know of that could possibly add the play counts back unless you had all these songs on an iPod and imported the files back from the iPod. I've had this happen a few times before and I just didn't worry and started over. You re-discover some of your music this way.

j3tang

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Toronto, Canada
you could kinda trick iTunes by playing one of those songs, immediatley scrolling to the end of the song to let it finish and it'll increase the play count ...

that's as "manual" as it gets i think :rolleyes:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
twistmac said:
This script will do it, I think.
I like that it will also subtract play count, so I can hide the fact I overplay Cindy Lauper on the drive home from work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.