How to manually password lock phone???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by livingaboard, Sep 6, 2009.

1. livingaboard macrumors newbie

I just got my new 3gs 16gb Iphone about 4 days ago. I come from a BlackBerry Curve.

On my BB I have it set so that after a certain amount of time the phone locks up. The Iphone has this also but this is not the function I am talking about.

I want to know if there is an app or some setting I cannot find that will allow me to instantly lock the screen? My BB has a button on the side that if I push it, it locks it. I don't wish to keep my lock screen time at instant so that isn't an option.

I appreciate any help.

2. celticpride678

The closest thing is the power button on the top. Press it and the phone locks. Then, have a pass-code and a specific time for the pass-code to set in.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think you are contradicting yourself. :)

Why not set the Auto-lock setting for 5min and then your Passcode Lock/Require Passcode to Immediate? When you press the Sleep/Wake button it should lock the phone immediately but only lock the phone after 5min min if you left it alone.

4. livingaboard thread starter macrumors newbie

that doesn't work

thanks for the reply. That does the opposite of what I want to do. I am not sure why Apple decided that their method of security is a good one because it isn't. If I follow your suggestion then the screen stays on for 5 minutes while it is put away in a case or whatever and then it locks with a password.

What I want is the screen to go off as soon as possible (1 minute) and then I want the password requirement to activate after 15 minutes or so. Right now this is possible with the current settings. The other thing it needs to do is to go into password lock BEFORE the 15 minutes manually, if I decide to I want to do that. If I leave my phone out I don't need my sneaky snake wife going through all my ****. This is possible with my Blackberry by pushing the soft key on the side and locking the screen, with a password, anytime I want. I thought maybe there was an app do this or a setting I wasn't aware of. I guess there isn't.

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I have a Blackberry too and I'm not following you. :)

So set your iPhone to shut the screen off after a min an password lock after 15min. I'd recommend 5min however in case you lose our phone, it will deter the casual/curious person who finds it from poking aroud your device.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I think this is pretty plain. The OP wants to be able to manually lock the phone and if anyone picks it up, the password screen is enabled. He does not want to wait for the timeout.

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Exactly, not sure what the issue is then. :)

8. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

The issue is that he doesn't want to set it in the immediate password lock, so to avoid entering the password every time.... but to be able to control it manually, apart from the auto lock time setting.

I also wish there was an answer for this... It would be very handy, specially on the iPad: a middle ground between having to enter the password every time you wake it up, and having to run the risk that not enough time passed for it to auto lock.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I LoL at people... is this REALLY an issue for you guys?

How does not being able to do this affect your lives ? I really am curious.

I say either suck it up and be "forced" to push a 4 button combo every time you want it to unlock OR simply leave it off.

10. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

This thread was from 2009. :eek:

Why drag it back up to the top of the pond?