How to manually set screen brightness when on AC & Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midnilux, Sep 8, 2009.

1. midnilux macrumors newbie

I have new macbook pro and have a problem with the way screen brightness is automatically adjusted.

On battery I want my screen brightness at around 40%, on AC I want it at 100%

If I set brightness to 16 bars (100%) on AC, with auto dimming enabled in power savings options it will only dim it down to 13 bars, I want it to be dimmed to 6 bars on battery.

I know I can just used F1/F2 to control the brightness as I please but it's kind of annoying, I just want it to do it automatically.

Is there anyway I can configure the mac to ALWAYS be at 100% on AC and go to 40% (6 bars) on Battery?

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

No, but you can turn off the auto-dimming feature and just manually adjust brightness to your liking with the F1 and F2 keys.

To turn off auto-dimming, go to System Preferences -> Displays and uncheck the auto-dimming feature. To keep it from automatically dimming or brightening the screen when changing power source, go System Preferences -> Energy Saver; you will see the appropriate checkbox to clear.

3. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

What you are describing works exactly opposite of the auto-dim function. You want the brightness levels at "fixed" levels when in AC or battery modes, which is not adaptive. As mentioned above, you have to disable auto dim and adjust in both conditions manually. However, I dont know whether the last brightness level is kept in memory for future uses or not. If so, then you dont have to adjust it every time... I love the auto-dim by the way (if it wasn't obvious, already) :D