How to manually unjailbreak an iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MLonon, May 13, 2010.

1. MLonon macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an iPhone 3GS that was JB and unlocked. Something happened to it and now I cannot restore with iTunes. Both DFU and Recovery Mode give error out. Recovery Mode error does not have a number but the DFU error is 21 which according to Apple is a hardware issue.

I do have access to the phones internals using iPhone Explorer and I can still use redsn0w to reapply the jailbreak. So what should/can I do?

1. Manually delete all the jailbreak files? I can do this but I cannot find a definitive list of the standard files? I did not install any apps off of Cydia except whatever was necessary for the unlock/repositories.

2. Manually delete everything (rm -rf*, Scorched Earth)? I was thinking that I could delete everything so that the phone will not even boot and feign ignorance or tell them that the update/restore process was interrupted and the phone bricked.

Any other suggestions?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's a hardware issue you can't do anything software wise.
    Bring it to apple for an exchange.

3. MLonon thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really the question...

Yes, I know that. I want/need to restore it to as close to factory condition as I can BEFORE I take it in. Since the hardware issue is preventing me from doing a simple DFU or recovery restore, I want to know if there is some way to manually do it, like going through and deleting all of the files with a script?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Get into DFU mode take it to apple tell them the error yor getting. They will probably try to restore it there see the error. Which is hardware issue and exchange it for you.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Before you give up, just because you get error 21 does not mean you won't be able to fix this. Sometimes, it's simply a USB port problem or using a different computer. I would look at the links provided by googling "error 21 iTunes iPhone" (not ANDed)

http://www.google.com/search?q=erro...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Good luck.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, try what Aggie said.
    But if it errors out during the restore chances are they wont be able to see anything you did to it before like JB and unlock.
    You should be fine bringing it in I think.

7. MLonon thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!

In case anyone is in a similar situation, I recommend the solution I found online:

1) Use a jailbreak tool of choice to get passed the connect to iTunes screen.
    2) Go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All content and Settings
    3) Confirm that your iPhone fails to boot.
    4) Take it to Apple Store and have it replaced.

8. Ewchristofis macrumors newbie

unjailbreak iphone 3gs

i used spirit to jailbreak my iphone 3gs now i want OS4, can i just update my iphone on itunes to unjailbreak my iphone?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, just plug to itunes and hit update.

10. C63 macrumors newbie

Does it matter what boot rom you've got?

What version iTunes should be used?

I'm a bit weary of bricking my phone!

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

you need version 9.2 of Itunes. It does not matter what boot rom you have but you will be updating to standing IOS4 which you will not be able to subsequently jailbreak. It is almost impossible to brick a 3GS.