How to map keys for keyboard attached to MBP only when external keyboard present

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nfable, Jan 6, 2011.

1. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Recently bought an mStand and have a logitech illuminated keyboard in play with my MBP when on stand; I know how to map the standard Windows keyboard layout to mimic OS X native (i.e. make the Win KB 'alt' behave like Mac's 'cmd' and the Win KB 'Windows' key to behave like Mac's alt/opt... but is there a method to implement where this mapping will only be in effect when there is an external USB keyboard attached?

Looking for a way for MBP to revert to standard Mac key layout when I unplug external Win KB.

Much thanks as I bow to MR forum's sagely advice - a niggling issue, but consistency is nice. Did a quick G search to no avail.

thx,
    nf

2. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Is there an easy way to do this? So far, I've just swapped the ALT key on this logitech keyboard to work like the COMMAND key and the Windows key (which was working like the command key before) to work as the ALT key. I'm not sure what else I should change.. for now, this is what I was struggling with.