Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
I have a bunch of files which are tv show files which were not purchased through itms but ripped from my tv card. After converting them to mp4 and importing then into iTunes they are all marked as Movies. Trying to change the format doesn't help as I only see the 'Music Video' or 'Movie' option.

Does anyone know how itunes distinguises these types? And how to convert them yourself so that iTunes will recognise them correctly?

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
I noticed this too...I'm thinking it wasnt a mistake the developers over looked...I'm sure there must be a way...but I have no idea.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I noticed the same thing, but I figured that Apple realizes that if you didn't get a TV show from the iTunes store and it's on your computer, it probably isn't legal. I'm sure purchased shows come up as "TV Show"

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Can't you just type a new genre into that field?

I've done that plenty of times with music files in iTunes. I haven't really played around with video yet though...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
johnbro23 said:
I noticed the same thing, but I figured that Apple realizes that if you didn't get a TV show from the iTunes store and it's on your computer, it probably isn't legal.

Probably. But possibly might be completely legal. For example, say someone who has produced their own TV show for their local access cable channel and now wants to put it (and tag it correctly) in iTunes.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
johnbro23 said:
I noticed the same thing, but I figured that Apple realizes that if you didn't get a TV show from the iTunes store and it's on your computer, it probably isn't legal.

buttercup said:
I have a bunch of files which are tv show files which were not purchased through itms but ripped from my tv card.

this practice is completely legal. its the same as recording a TV show using a VHS. (if you want to look through your history books you can find the big legal battle when VHS and Beta were battelling it out with the TV producers.)

Its also the same as a TiVo or other DVR.

but yes, i am surprised as well, im sure they will drop it into a future release. . . i mean iTunes 7 might come out next week!!!

hEyyy XxMjF

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
that's an easy one! just go to Get Info > Options > Media Kind
they just moved the drop menu to the options tab :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.