Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrDexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Hey guys, with the old Apple TVs I could watch a TV show as watched (that I had watched already in a season) by holding down a button on the remote...

That doesn't seem possible with ATV4? Am I doing something wrong?

Kaffrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
UK
The only way I have been able to do this is by marking episodes as watched in iTunes. It is then reflected on the ATV.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
In the list of TV programmes (from the Computers option), select the episode in question. Then just press and hold the middle of the track pad. The old style pop up with "mark watched' or 'mark unwatched' appears.

Works every time for me?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
yep, i still have a 3rd generation Apple TV, and it work throughout. computers section as well as podcasts.

I'd feel pretty quilty if Apple provided the only solution, must be marked from iTunes.... That's not very convenient.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
In my experience: On the TV Programmes view (probably called 'shows' in the US I guess) press and hold to change watched status does not work on top level shows- only those in folders (seasons). The 'By Date' tab seems unaffected by this bug.

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Aren't you guys talking about two different things, it's one thing to mark a whole season as watched/unwatched (I don't think this works) and another thing to mark an explicit episode as watched/unwatched.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
The OP had trouble marking an individual programme in a season as watched, according to their post. This works every time for me.

I have never tried marking a whole season as watched.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
In the list of TV programmes (from the Computers option), select the episode in question. Then just press and hold the middle of the track pad. The old style pop up with "mark watched' or 'mark unwatched' appears.

Works every time for me?

Are you referring to episodes stored on your computer and viewed via home sharing? Does this work with iTunes purchases that you haven't downloaded locally?

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Aren't you guys talking about two different things, it's one thing to mark a whole season as watched/unwatched (I don't think this works) and another thing to mark an explicit episode as watched/unwatched.

In my experience:
Shows that are not part of a season in the root level of that area cannot be marked as watched or unwatched.
Entire seasons cannot be marked as watched or unwatched
Only single shows within seasons can be marked as watched or unwatched.

As far as I can see this cannot be desired behaviour.

MrDexx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Hey All, thank you for the responses, just wanted to update to say I actually didn't get it to work with any of the suggestions though :(

So here's the deal:
  • I purchased just a single season pass for The Walking Dead
  • I had already watched the first two episodes of the season on TV so I just needed to watch the remainder now
  • However since the Apple TV has the first two shows as unwatched, it pops up with the second episode (ended up watching the first) as whats next to play (even as new episodes come out)
  • When I HOLD the track pad (and any other button) on an episode, I can see it visually being pressed and held on the screen, however no menu options pop up no matter how long I hold it on an episode
  • If I do a quick click, the episode begins to play as normal
  • Episodes in a season do not show up in the Computer section of the ATV4, however even when I went to the individual TV episodes I do have on my computer, and click/hold like I used to, no menu pops up

So with this clearer explanation, has anyone with an Apple TV 4 actually been able to mark shows as read JUST with the remote like the ATV 3 could? Am I missing something? (I've also used the Pause/Play button to no avail)

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
The only thing I can think is - are you pressing the centre of the touch pad? It does seem to have "zones" on it.

Videod myself using it, apologies that it is a bit blurry!

Last edited:

heryqk

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
The only thing I can think is - are you pressing the centre of the touch pad? It does seem to have "zones" on it.

Videod myself using it, apologies that it is a bit blurry!

Thanks for the video !
How did you get this interface ? Like others have mentioned, I only get the horrible horizontal menu when I go in TV Shows whereas you have a vertical menu akin to the ATV3 style menu.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Happy to help! It's accessed through 'computers', the orange icon. It's media on my Mac shared via Homesharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.