How to max my 200* MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kazakh, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kazakh macrumors member

Hi. I don't remember when I purchased my MBP. It's 15", the first one that came out with SD slot and non-replaceable battery. It has 2.8 processor 500Gb HDD and Nvidia 9600. (looking at guides here, it looks like its a 2009 model, no?)

Well, I am trying to figure out what RAM and HDD to add to maximize it:

HDD: 1TB - any suggestions, what is the best one out there now? I hear that Samsung M8 is one of the most common ones here? I probably would not want SSD at this time.

RAM: Is 8Gb max that I can put in?

Someone else posted a link to this memory, would it work?

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory

So, if my laptop has 4Gb 1033 now, would a 1333 work? I read people reporting that it works fine.

Thank you and please post links or names if there is something better that I can buy for this laptop.

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Get a WD Scorpio Blue 1TB 5400 RPM. Make sure it isn't the 5200 RPM model.

As for the RAM, I wouldn't suggest getting the 1333 as your computer may not run it. I have a few buddies here that took 1333 RAM and put it in their MBP and it didn't work simply because their computer originally came with 1066. But, I could be wrong!

3. kazakh, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

kazakh thread starter macrumors member

thanks. I am looking at this Scorpio drive now, seems like its "diactivated" on Newegg (whatever that means). B&H has it for like $110.

As for the memory, that's what I would think, oh man, I might try to get it.
    Here is what it says on G.Skill website:

***Only for MacBook 2011 / MacBook Pro 2011 / iMac

Please note: 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family (Intel® Core™ i3/i5/i7) based platforms are capable of DDR3 1333MHz memory speed. Previous generation Dual-Core Intel processor-based platforms will result only in 1066MHz

So it seems that it would just down clock it to 1033, no?

4. RayK macrumors 6502

Yea. That model did not run with 1333 chips when I had mine. I had to swap for 1066. Enjoy the new machine. Also why not consider sad + hdd combo?

5. kazakh thread starter macrumors member

it completely did not run?

I had this computer for a couple of years now, but my 500Gb is completely full.

I was considering it for a second, but then I feel like I would need the CD drive at some point. And it will probably happen when I am not at home and have no access to any other computer. lol

6. RayK macrumors 6502

Nope didn't run at all. Was a sad moment.

Ah, you need lots of space I see. Yea I'd get a bigger drive. I've personally had great luck eith western digital as mentioned above.

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Scorpio Blacks are the ones that run 7200 RPM and i believe the ones apple uses (for their 7200 drives) while Blue's are used as their basic drive.

It a 50/50 chance, some people have put in 1333RAM and it worked fine, others say it didn't work at all, you have to try it to find out if your computer accepts it or not, but you wont go wrong sticking with the original 1066 and save yourself some money.

8. bb426, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Definitely go for the Scorpio blacks if you're going for a WD drive in that area... From experience they tend to be a bit faster and more reliable.

Have you considered the Seagate Momentus XT? It's one of the better 7200 RPM drives, I've used it in both bays of my MBP with no problems (SD26 firmware), and it's been probably the best laptop HDD purchase I've ever had.

Don't get me wrong though, the Scorpio Black is a nice one too. (for the higher price, it's got some more space but speed wise, the XT is much better and cheaper).

You can always use your Optical Drive, just get an enclosure for it, it's pretty cheap. Mine works just fine! But the only thing that doesn't work is DVD Player, but there is a hack for it and it works just fine now (don't worry, it's reversible).

9. kazakh thread starter macrumors member

well, I took the risk and ordered that memory (1333), although my computer had 1066 stock, and luckily, it worked for me.

[​IMG]

however, now my question is the following:

Lion shows this little message that says that it can take 1333 sticks. Does that mean its the max that will work? My girlfriend has a 2011 Macbook Pro which she got in April, and her shows the same message (about 1333), however, I thought that new MBPs take 1600 or even 1866.

[​IMG]

10. kazakh thread starter macrumors member

thanks. I went with the 1Tb WD. I needed space for photos, and music.
    I thought about getting an enclosure, but knowing me - I would probably need to use CD/DVD when I won't have access to enclosure. Oh well, maybe I will get an SSD a bit later.