How to maximise my MacBook battery

higuyhi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Hi there,

Just got my brand new MacBook Pro 13’.

1) Before I start using it, how would be the best way to first fully charge it? First drain it to 0%?

2) And in future- short periods of charging? Or draining and fully charging?

3) Shut down VS Sleep

Cheera
Guy

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Hi there,

Just got my brand new MacBook Pro 13’.

1) Before I start using it, how would be the best way to first fully charge it? First drain it to 0%?

2) And in future- short periods of charging? Or draining and fully charging?

3) Shut down VS Sleep

Cheera
Guy
Since it's lithium ion battery I always plug it when I can, I try to not let it go below 60% as much as I can.

I only sleep it when I'm in the office for lunch break or if I'm going somewhere and will need to resume my work.

higuyhi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Since it's lithium ion battery I always plug it when I can, I try to not let it go below 60% as much as I can.

I only sleep it when I'm in the office for lunch break or if I'm going somewhere and will need to resume my work.
Tnx mate.

Is it ok leave it charging after it’s reached 100%?

So in that case you switch it off when you’re done for the day?

Cheers
Guy

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Tnx mate.

Is it ok leave it charging after it’s reached 100%?

So in that case you switch it off when you’re done for the day?

Cheers
Guy
Shouldn’t be an issue since all electronics these days have a energy controller.

Yep I turn it off if I won’t use it for the rest of day or week

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Nothing you can do will make that much difference apart from avoiding a complete discharge. The battery will last 4-6 years and then need changing taking lots of special measures will not change that. Avoid letting it go below 5% if you can and start recharging at 20% if you can and it should last a good 5 years with 80% of capacity still left.

You may get a month or two extra here or there from excessive care but that's not worth not using it as a portable as you need and its designed to do, batteries are consumables accept it and use it how you need to.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
This article tells you all you need to know about battery life
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Thanks for sharing this! Looks like I will be doing some reading!
[doublepost=1529626679][/doublepost]OP, my biggest suggestions on maintaining the battery life of your MacBook is make sure you don’t leave it always plugged in (unplug it once you know it’s hit 100% charge, unless you’re doing CPU intensive tasks), and don’t worry too much about it. In the end the battery should last you pretty good for at least 4-5 years. So long as it’s not always plugged in, and you keep the computer fairly cool, the battery will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.