How to maximise my MacBook battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by higuyhi, Jun 8, 2018.

1. higuyhi macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just got my brand new MacBook Pro 13’.

1) Before I start using it, how would be the best way to first fully charge it? First drain it to 0%?

2) And in future- short periods of charging? Or draining and fully charging?

3) Shut down VS Sleep

Cheera
    Guy

2. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

Since it's lithium ion battery I always plug it when I can, I try to not let it go below 60% as much as I can.

I only sleep it when I'm in the office for lunch break or if I'm going somewhere and will need to resume my work.

3. higuyhi thread starter macrumors newbie

Tnx mate.

Is it ok leave it charging after it’s reached 100%?

So in that case you switch it off when you’re done for the day?

Cheers
    Guy

4. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

Shouldn’t be an issue since all electronics these days have a energy controller.

Yep I turn it off if I won’t use it for the rest of day or week

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Nothing you can do will make that much difference apart from avoiding a complete discharge. The battery will last 4-6 years and then need changing taking lots of special measures will not change that. Avoid letting it go below 5% if you can and start recharging at 20% if you can and it should last a good 5 years with 80% of capacity still left.

You may get a month or two extra here or there from excessive care but that's not worth not using it as a portable as you need and its designed to do, batteries are consumables accept it and use it how you need to.

6. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Thanks for sharing this! Looks like I will be doing some reading!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---
    OP, my biggest suggestions on maintaining the battery life of your MacBook is make sure you don’t leave it always plugged in (unplug it once you know it’s hit 100% charge, unless you’re doing CPU intensive tasks), and don’t worry too much about it. In the end the battery should last you pretty good for at least 4-5 years. So long as it’s not always plugged in, and you keep the computer fairly cool, the battery will be fine.