How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mad jew, May 30, 2006.

1. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, don't worry 'bout that too much mate. We were all newbies once. :)

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

does this mean? That I have become an addict before I got my mac? OH Lord help me!

It is nice to be in good company!!! ;)

3. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I only wish when I did tech support for a living at Sony that the customers would have abided by the suggestions in this thread.

Heck, even having them know what brand and model of computer they had (and knowing the difference between their monitor and the computer, or their cable modem/DSL modem and their computer, geez, even their keyboard and their computer) would have been a blessing.

Then again, considering the source, undoubtedly it would have been expecting too much.

The advantage of any form of online support is it does physically impose some degree of knowledge-level restrictions on the masses, which is entirely a good thing. Now if only there was a mechanism for verifying I.Q. and E.E.G. readings before allowing access... oh well...

Totally off-topic (gasp!), how about a good recipe for either Vulcan Plo'meek soup or really good Matza Ball soup? I've had such a taste for one or the other for the longest time.

Oh, yeah, and BTW: Awesome rules-of-thumb, madjew and those others who contributed!

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The troubleshooting guide for installing Mac applications helped me out. I had been trying to install a dialup Internet package on my MacBook, but Stuffit was suspiciously missing.

Tell me if that's strange or not that Stuffit wasn't on this Core 2 Duo MacBook -- seems fishy to me. I don't recall deleting anything.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They stopped including Stuffit awhile back because most people now use standard zipping formats that are handled by the BOMArchiveHelper that's integrated into OS X. But yes, there are still some apps out there that you need Stuffit in order to open, so it probably should still be included.

6. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The thing was, I was out at my grandma's, in a very rural area, with my only option being dialup, and damn was I hacked off about not being able to get online at all due to this nonsense with applications. I kept getting messages that there was no application available to open this or that. even the BOMArchiveHelper thing didn't work either.

7. gvdv macrumors regular

8. SDQ8 macrumors newbie

SDQ8

Still requiring help

Hi everyone,

I joined your forum today (19 March 2008) and have read the 11 points and have done intensive searches through previous posts and I'm still unable to gain any insight to my problem so, any assistance would be highly appreciated.

In short, after almost 30 years as a windows user I finally made the switch and bought an AppleiMac, 2.8Ghz, 24 inch model with Leopard OS last weekend and being a Britisg Guy holding a PhD I don't consider myself a dummy but can't for the life of me figure out how to configure my USB modem on the Mac!

To clarify a little;
    Where I live in Kuwait is a brand new area and has no communications infrastructure in place, hence no availability of dial up or ADSL facilities and we have to rely totally on USB Modems with internal GPRS Simcards for connecting to the Internet.

The manufacturer of the unit (Zain, Website URL is http://www.zain.com.kw) which was previously owned by MTC-Vodaphone are nothing short of useless in trying to solve this problem and further, due to paranoia in this part of the world cannot (READ WILL NOT) provide any technical specifications of this unit whatsoever!

I paid a small fortune for this modem so I am very, very reluctant to seek an alternative however, if there is no choice in the matter then so be it but, in the interim, any advice whatsoever would be most gratefully received.

Thanks to all in anticipation.

Steve
    (SDQ8)

9. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Hi Steve,

Welcome to MR. You might want to read number two again as this is not really the best place to get help on this issue.

"Secondly (courtesy of frankblundt), make sure you post your question in the appropriate forum to better your chances of having a resident expert see your thread."

By the way, where are you in Q8? I was there for 9 years through the 90s (and several wars). I know that it has changed enormously now - I used to live in Salmiya, Sabah Al Salem (opposite Messila Beach), and also Fahad Sultan (near Fahaheel).

Good to see that t'interweb service is as crap as ever there unless you pay loads of money - I was also on dialup modem, (I was also on a different OS to PC and Mac) but got help from a friend to get the connection set up. I am sure that someone here will be able to help out if you post in the right area - there are some very technical and helpful vistors here.

10. SDQ8 macrumors newbie

SDQ8

Kuwait

Hi Riscy and thanks for your response;

In short, I'm obviously very new to Forums and still trying to get the general hang of things so thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I've now got the modem "issue" sorted thanks to a great Philipino Mac engineer who has the patience of a saint.

I live in Salwa, Block 12 and previously lived in Salmiya for 3 years, been in Kuwait almost 6 years and the Middle East for 22 years, ever since leaving the British Army.
    Kuwait has changed a great deal in my time, some area's have changed beyond all recognition so, I guess if you ever ventured back here you would hardly recognise anywhere, they are constantly dropping buildings, rebuilding and expanding like crazy, sometimes I think that they are trying to compete with Dubai, just a shame they never have the forethought to put effective infrastructure in place prior to building new blocks!!!

Again, many thanks for the advice.

BR
    Steve

11. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

You're welcome Steve,

Enjoy posting on the forum and just ask if you need any help or advice, people here are really helpful and knowledgeable.

I have had friends return to Q8 since I left and they were amazed at the changes - I still have fond memories of strolling around Fahaheel - always a bit dodgy.

12. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I havent exactly been on this site a long time, but its already the first thing i check when i load up my lappie :) yep even before facebook, bbc. Scary stuff!! i just like reading alot of the advice and tips/hints on stuff.

13. Sabu macrumors newbie

Bless Mac Forums

I'm so new and am sure I'll need all the help I can get. Thank you all in advance!:)

14. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

Beautiful. I now understand because of what you said, thank you much!

15. lisazh macrumors newbie

I'm newbie , I have a lot of problems . I like search good advice and suggestion . Thanks !

16. jw2110 macrumors newbie

17. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Nice Info + everything explained very accurately

18. ObuckiO, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

ObuckiO macrumors regular

Putting screen shots on MR

I looked on how to add screenshots and attachments to my replies or post's, but my MacBook has my name and when i upload a photo on MacRumors, my name is in that blue box also (I don't know if it will go through forum like that i doubt), I changed computer name(not root user), and would like to know how to "know what part" will show up on forum. I do know how to put links down, as in "Click Here" shows up. I couldn't find guide on what comes up in pics.
    BTW..When i try to delete my name out of insert, it says error in URL.

Thank You very much: SIMSALADIMBAMBA for your quick & what i was looking for reply.

19. simsaladimbamba

20. ObuckiO macrumors regular

th_apple_logo_dinero.jpg
    Testing this: Simsaladimbamba

21. Miss Trust macrumors newbie

Miss Trust

22. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

See the attached pic (the Search is in the upper right of the page and looks like a magnifying glass).
    MacRumors Search.png

23. Miss Trust macrumors newbie

Miss Trust

Thank you. I see it now. I don't know why I couldn't find that before.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Search button was harder to find than this very old thread. :D

25. Jmacke macrumors newbie

Jmacke

This is a very good thread, and I wish I had read it earlier, before posting the same question on two different parts of the forum. I do apologise. I always use search functions on forums like this, as I realise it saves people a lot of wasted time replying to previously answered questions. This time, using search function on this site, as well as other internet forums, I was unable to find an answer to my problem. i will be more careful next time I post, to choose the most relevant forum. Good work Mad jew and others.