How to maximize privacy in OSX...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DoNoHarm, Mar 1, 2014.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

The privacy situation these days has gotten to be really Orwellian. While it probably makes no difference, I figured I'd try to do the "easy stuff" to increase my privacy. I've tried Ubuntu and other Linux distros, but I think I'll be sticking with OSX. It's just too good and easy to use. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to maximize privacy on a Mac. So far I have:

1) Encrypted my hard disk using file vault
    2) Switched to firefox with these mods: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/4-simple-changes-protect-your-privacy-online
    3) Modified my facebook.

I'd be curious about other tips people have out there. If people have suggestions, I'll update my list!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ 2) Switched to firefox with these mods: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/0...privacy-online ]]

Do the above plugins for Firefox give you the ability to conceal your IP address?
    If not, you should try out the "Epic" privacy browswer.
    It's a stripped-down version of Chrome (all the google stuff has been stripped out) that is purposely-designed to operate from a "privacy point of view".
    It can effectively conceal your IP address, among other things.

[[ 3) Modified my facebook. ]]

If you're REALLY concerned about privacy, you will "remove yourself" from such social networking sites as facebook, linkedin, etc.

3. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

also I turned on the firewall in the settings/security preferences...

4. pompomme macrumors newbie

I think you should also add a firewall like Hands Off, Little Snitch or just Radio Silence.