How to maximize?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ducmac, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ducmac macrumors newbie

Hello!

Well, i bet somebody already asked this question. I've tried to search and find an answer but i haven't been successful.

Ok, why can i minimise every application (cmd+M) but not maximise it again? is there any shortcut to maximise applications out of the dock or do I absolutely need the mouse?

cheers

mac

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There is no maximize. In most cases, the green button acts as "zoom to fit" where it sizes the window to best display the content, which is how you're supposed to be working anyway. Windows™ just has you trained to maximize everything in an inefficient fashion.

I can hardly believe that. There may very well be 72 thousand topics on this just at MacRumors.

3. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Agreed. I know, because when I switched I asked the same thing and there was almost a riot. :p

OP - simply get used to hiding apps instead of minimizing them. It takes up less dock space anyways. :apple: + H instead of :apple: + M and you'll be fine. Then you can :apple: + TAB and it'll restore. You'll get used to it and like it much more, trust me.

4. ducmac thread starter macrumors newbie

No wait, we are talking about two different things. I know that there is no window maximise. What I'm looking for is a shortcut to get an application, which is invisible because it is minimized to the dock, out again. i'm not looking for a shortcut for the green button...

i've seen the topics about the green button and the window maximisation.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You can drag the window to size by clicking and dragging the lower right hand corner of the window.

6. 119576 Guest

I think the OP may actually mean 'restore' from the dock; based on the context of the rest of the post.

newappleboy gives the best advice here.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Apple tab?

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Nah, you need to use the cursor to maximize your window out of the dock. Otherwise the comp wouldn't know which window you were calling for.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That works if the application has only one minimized window. If there's more than one, you'll need to follow that up with Apple+` (the backtick symbol, located below Escape on most keyboards) to select the appropriate window.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh, well in that case, just Command + Tab to select your application I guess.

Ahem, Command + Tab

Perhaps try hiding the app rather than minimizing multiple windows.

11. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Teehee Hooray me.

P.S. - even when there is only one window open for that app, CMD + Tab doesn't restore it. Unless you plan on using your mouse to restore, I would recommend always hiding and never minimizing.

12. ducmac thread starter macrumors newbie

well i'm myself a usability expert and in my opinion this behaviour is just inconsistent... i don't like it.

thanks for all the help... unfortunately nothing was really new.

13. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Looks like you failed as a demi-god. Hes talking about MINIMIZING apps and then MAXIMIZING them, NOT maximizing the window.

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, as was clarified and discussed in the follow-up posts you didn't read. The OP was actually taking about restoring, not maximizing.

15. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a