How to maximum the window into full screen ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by al7zn22, Oct 28, 2007.

1. al7zn22 macrumors newbie

How can I maximum the windows into full screen ?
    Like in windows XP.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can't.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just grab the right bottom corner and expand the window.

4. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

Being a Windows user for years, it was difficult for me to originally make the switch and get used to it, but after a little while, it starts to make much more sense. Now it seems unnatural for me to be able to maximize things when I'm back on a windows machine. You'll find that it helps you to multi-task easier. It is a difficult change however, I'll give you that!

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

if the app may require full screen it will be built in.
    If you get used to not using full screen then it is acually much more efficient

6. pederg macrumors member

i have found this amazing little script to use in safari.. you can just bookmark it and whenever you click it it will maximize the safari window to fill your screen...

Code:
    javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight)
    Peder

7. bellis1 macrumors 6502

In finder

I have been using the following to script in finder to maximize windows for coverflow. I activate them through using quicksilver. You may need to edit some of the parameters because it is setup for my laptop.

maximize:
    tell application "Finder"
    activate
    select Finder window 1
    set window 1's position to {0, 44}
    set bounds of Finder window 1 to {0, 44, 1440, 900}
    set current view of Finder window 1 to flow view
    end tell

minimize:
    tell application "Finder"
    activate
    set bounds of Finder window 1 to {143, 164, 1236, 632}
    set position of Finder window 1 to {143, 164}
    set current view of Finder window 1 to column view
    end tell

8. oceanmonster macrumors regular

you cannot maximize a window like you can in windows. I found this one of the hard things to get used to when i first switched to a mac, but now i can see how it works better without maximized windows.

If you want to work with the window spanning the screen grab the corner and drag them open.

9. Ariez macrumors regular

This is one of the few things that drives me nuts in OSX. Basically to get full screen you need to hide youre dock, and stretch the window manually.

As for "its more efficient" i just think its an excuse for an inferior window system. How is it more efficient? In OSX you need third party apps to hide the background so it wont distract you (MS Word is one great example). When you mamimize word in windows you have a nice clean interface to work with. You cannot do this in OSX.

And for those people that just prefer working with many opened windows, Windows allows you to have that option. You can choose to work in an enviorment like OSX, or you can choose to focus on one window.

10. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Lol, +1 on the whole "it's more efficient argument" -- so hilarious. How is it more efficient that I have to drag a window to make it full size?

One thing I've never quite understood is the + icon in the top left of a window. It seems to toggle between two pre-determined window sizes. It would be nice if it remembered what you set it to, that way you could resize it to what you consider full screen and simply click the + icon when you need it to be that size again.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

I agree with you. The efficiency argument is a red herring as you can always choose not to maximize in windows. I've used tons of windowing systems (twm, fvwm, cde, windows, multiple linux variations, etc.) and being able to maximize with a single click or key combo is a welcome option when I want to focus on a single document or reserve the entire screen space for seeing more of a document. On some windowing systems that didn't offer that option, i spent a lot of time manually managing and positioning windows (often using multiple desktops to swap between various full-screen applications).

I'm also finding that recently I use maximization more than ever - in gvim, for example, I used to have multiple windows open, but as gvim added better tab/split support, i switched to a single window hosting multiple documents.

12. al7zn22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ,,

I use this one and its work perfect with safari
    but what about finder and other App.?

13. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

finder should remember the size of your window...

just open a finder window, make it big, then close it

if you reopen a finder window it should be the same size as it was when you closed it