How to MBP from dropping internet overnight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twanger, Sep 14, 2007.

1. twanger macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a slight issue when downloading large files like Leopard, Bootcamp, etc. Whenever the MBP goes to sleep, the internet connection drops and resumes when I wake it up. Since my MBP is in my room, I'd like the display to shut off, but still have the computer on so I can download it overnight. I have tried to change it under Energy Saver settings, I set the computer to never go to sleep, and the display to go to sleep in 10 minutes. However, when I move the mouse in the morning, after I enter in my password, the internet connection has dropped. About a gig of the download has finished, so I know it went for about an hour, but I dont' know why it stops after that.

Thanks in advance

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't let the HD go to sleep. Uncheck that box.

3. twanger thread starter macrumors newbie

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well then it's likely your ISP is kicking your connection overnight. If your settings look like this (see attachment), then you shouldn't be loosing your network connection. Does it always happen at the same time, or can you reproduce the issue right now? Does your ISP/University have a ceiling on how much data you can download at a time?

Attached Files:

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Uncheck the "put HD to sleep whenever possible"

Attached Files:

6. twanger thread starter macrumors newbie

It happened once at supper time yesterday, and I tried again overnight and it dropped again. The thing is, I was be able to do this last month and it didn't drop the connection. Some of my programs end up hanging when I use the computer again, so I'm not sure if that's causing it.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. twanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Could it have something to do with my wireless configuration? I was using WEP before, and switched to WPA2. It was working fine with WEP.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

What router are you using? I've been having a similar problem with my MBP after upgrading my Airport Extreme 802.11n access point a week or two ago.

10. twanger thread starter macrumors newbie

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

12. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Does that little WiFi indicator go blank at night (so you have to turn it off and back on again to get a connection)?

13. twanger thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to select the network again to get back on. It won't connect automatically

14. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

15. cobravap macrumors regular

I was having something like that. When it happens in the day, can you try and ping the router? That way you can figure out if its the internet or router/computer.