iPad How to migrate iPad 1 to iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by esskay, Jul 11, 2013.

1. esskay macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

My wife has an iPad 1 (iOS 5.1.1). We picked up a used iPad 3 for her (iOS 6.1.3).

What is the best way to migrate her to the new device?

Her iPad 1 is fully backed up via iCloud. Should we simply wipe the iPad 3, and restore the iPad 1 backup from iCloud? Is there any issue with the mismatched iOS versions?

In googling around, I read a couple people who recommend a fresh install for new devices. What is the reason for this? Wouldn't that also mean that she would lose all the settings, app data, etc associated with the apps on her iPad 1. I know she could re-download all the purchased apps, but wouldn't she lose the data from the old iPad 1? (e.g. game scores/position, home screen layout/folders, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. MandiMac macrumors 6502

Backup via iCloud

Hello,

when you're restoring your backup via iCloud, everything should be the same: apps, folders, game scores, settings and all. Just takes a time re-downloading all the stuff.
    My tip: Wipe the iPad 3 (restore to factory settings) and restore it. That's what "clean install" means when migrating to another iOS version, say iOS 7 later in the fall.

3. 960design macrumors 68000

Just login using your old icloud and itunes accounts. All apps, movies, ect will appear on the new iPad.

No need to wipe anything if the device is new. If it is used, it is best to wipe it... just for a sanity check.

4. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

The iPad 3 is used. When I got it I wiped it, then restored my iPhone backup from iCloud to it to test and play around with it (I didn't have an iPad previously). Going from iPhone to iPad restore, a bunch of settings/etc didn't come through (as noted on-screen by Apple). But now I'm ready to transfer my wife's iPad 1, so I just wanted to be sure I did it the right way.

As a side question -- now that I set up the iPad 3 initially with my own iCloud/iTunes account, can I go backwards and restore my iPad 3 backup onto the old iPad 1? (I assume I'll lose some iOS6 only apps, but otherwise will it be ok?)

5. MandiMac macrumors 6502

It just works :)

Hello OP,

yes, it works just like you assumed: You can go backwards, only apps that the original iPad can't handle won't show up. Otherwise, the routine is exactly the same. Great that everything worked out for you!

6. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502

iPad 1 > iPad 3
    Well, the iPad 1 restore to iPad 3 for my wife appears to be going swimmingly.

iPad 3 > iPad 1
    HOWEVER, not so much the other direction... I made sure to complete the iCloud backup of my iPad 3 configuration before I wiped it. I can see the iPad 3 backup in iCloud from my iPhone.

I wiped the iPad 1 and went to restore from iCloud... and my iPad 3 backup does not show up, only my iPhone backup!

So I'm guessing that because the iPad 3 iCloud backup was iOS 6, that the backup cannot be applied against the old iPad 1 with iOS 5??

Thoughts, anyone? Much appreciated!

Thanks!

7. MandiMac macrumors 6502

It seems like you're right. I tried that with my old iPad 2 (iOS 6), there it worked. Man.

8. esskay thread starter macrumors 6502