How to Migrate iTunes from PC to MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zigzagler, Jan 5, 2009.

1. zigzagler macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum and I just bought the new MBP 2 weeks ago. I’m indeed very happy with my purchase.
    However, I have a few difficulties since I’ve been using Windows for over a decade.
    Here are my questions:

1) How can I transfer my old iTunes musics (together with ratings) and also the playlists over to my new Mac?

2) I used to synce & backup my iPhones with my old Laptop (windows), so how do I or what is the best way for me to sync with my new MBP without losing all those information in my iPhones? - I’m planning to restore & upgrade my iPhone anyway (probably unlocking it since it’s out )

3) Is it normal that the macbook gets hotter when I boot windows natively via boot camp? Is there a way to work around with the power management in windows to make it the same with OSX?

4) I put on the invisible shield on the cover, the corners & on the palm rest except the trackpad & the whole bottom part - my concern was with the heat dissipation that will be prohibited if I put on the invisible shield at the bottom, should I be worried about that? as I read it somewhere saying it’ll slow down the process of getting rid of the heat though.

5) I’m still justifying whether I should get the new TARGUS MAC series of Chill mat to cool down my MBP while I’m playing games in windows - any suggestions?
    Targus Mac Chill Mat

Thanks guys!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Welcome. :)

I believe you can simply copy the directory \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes from your Windows machine into ~/Music on your Mac and everything will work perfectly. (~ is *nix shorthand for your home folder, so /Users/username or the little home icon in the Finder sidebar with your name beside it.)

That's up to the Boot Camp drivers. There's not much you can do about it.

It will get hotter, yes, because normally heat would dissipate through the aluminum. If that becomes a problem, you can always remove the cover.

I wouldn't bother unless heat becomes a problem. Uncomfortably hot is bad mostly because it's uncomfortable to have on your lap, but I wouldn't want my laptop on my lap anyway when I'm playing games.

3. zigzagler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks…however I was wondering if MobileMe will help in my situation? Will the consolidating data from my previous itunes method carry my old iPhones backup as well?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not really. It would help with getting contacts and email and such over, but not iTunes stuff or iPhone backups. The method I described should work perfectly well, though. It's what Apple recommends in their instructions for using an iPod to move a music library, although I removed the many unnecessary steps they include.

... which reminds me, that might actually be a good solution to another problem that popped up here recently.