How to migrate to MBA? USB2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by c.s., Jun 17, 2012.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Since Apple has phased out FireWire, how do you connect Macs now to migrate? Will USB work? That will take forever. Some sort of FireWire adapter? I've got a 2009 MBP.

2. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

i just did this using the migration assistant over wifi; see my other thread. In the end, it worked out. But, i think it would have been faster to have restored from a backup.

3. c.s. thread starter macrumors regular

c.s.

So you think Time Machine backup would be faster than WiFi? Thanks!

----------

Checked out your other thread. I'll just use an external backup. 10 hrs is brutal.

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I have two USB-ethernet connectors, so I'm going to try direct ethernet connection for migration. It's only 100Mbps, but it's better than wifi.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

I used this time to do some much needed housekeeping. I only need to reinstall office and a few more things I can get from the store as I've already paid for them. The rest of my files that are content (xls,,doc, jpg,mp4,etc) I found using a finder search and put them in folders and moved to a 64G thumb drive

Easy and neat....

6. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are migrating from another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac, you can use a Thunderbolt cable, and Migration Assistant, putting the old Mac into Target Disk Mode. That's what I did when migrating from my 2011 to my 2012. It was a breeze, and extremely fast. Otherwise, you can use the Thunderbolt-to-USB connector or forthcoming Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter on your new Mac to connect to an older Mac with Firewire.

7. g808 macrumors regular

I'm just cloning to an external and migrating from that. Can't wait for tomorrow!

8. amien macrumors member

Is everything being migrated? Settings of programs, login of websites etc?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are asking does Migration Assistant migrate all those things, yes it can. There is a list of checkboxes where you can select what you do or do not want moved over.