Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unita_logica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I recently purchased a new SSD and I'd like to move everything over from my old HD. I am currently on Mountain Lion and I have just one HD, single partition on my Mac Pro.

This is what I'm thinking to do:

1. back up everything to Time Capsule with Time Machine
2. Re-download Mountain Lion
3. Start installation on new drive
4. when the OS install process asks me to migrate from existing Mac, choose Time Machine... or probably just the existing HD since it's still there in my Mac Pro?
5.... let migration complete, reboot and enjoy SSD?

Am I missing something?

Again my wish would be to simply move the whole content of the HD to the SSD (users, docs, preferences, everything) and just boot from the SSD and start using it where I left off from the HD. Later I plan to reformat the HD as a data drive.

Some people have suggested using Carbon Copy Cloner, but I'd prefer not spend the extra $40... I will if I need to, but do I really need it? What does CCC give me that Apple migration tools don't?

I know this is fairly obvious to many here (that's why I came over here in "Mac Basics" ;)) but I've never done this, so any insights are much appreciated! Thanks.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Migrating from Time Machine should work well for you. I would do a test restore just to make sure your backup isn't corrupted or anything. To do this, you could create a new partition on your current HDD and do a fresh ML install and TM migration on it. This should also help calm your nerves for when you do the SSD install/migration as you'll be a little more familiar with what you're doing.

Edit: didn't see this part before I posted - or probably just the existing HD since it's still there in my Mac Pro?

That will probably give you the same results as the TM migration, but I don't have any experience with Mac to Mac migration, so I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.