How to minimize all windows from all apps (not expose/show desktop)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qwimjim, Jan 28, 2011.

1. qwimjim macrumors regular

I doubt OSX has this function but maybe someone knows of an app that could do this. I know all about expose where all your apps are pushed out of the way and you see the desktop. What I want is something that actually minimizes every window in every app. So that when I click on an app after minimizing all, it only un-minimizes that app, rather than all apps like expose does. Yes I come from Windows and yes I know you Mac guys can't fathom why anyone would want such a feature but trust me it's quite useful when things get cluttered :)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't believe that that is a standard feature of the OS, although if you google, you may be able to find a plugin or app that will add that functionality

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

option key + minimise minimises all windows of that application.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I use this applescript to achieve something similar.

Code:
    try
    	tell application "Finder"
    		set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not "Finder" to false
    		set collapsed of every window to true
    	end tell
    end try
    I set a global shortcut to run this script using Spark.

I never managed to get one that minimizes everything to work. Nor can I get any finder windows to hide rather than minimize.

6. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

ok guys some of you didn't understand but thats ok. i want to hide ALL windows of ALL apps at the SAME time. anyways, i figured it out! you guys should all check this app out its called bettertouchtool. it lets you create a huge amount of custom keyboard shortcuts, and about 50 touchpad gestures. its absolutely amazing.. it has an option to "hide all apps" which i set to a four finger swipe up. i also set four finger swipe left/right to move between browser tabs, and set up functions for 3,4, and 5 finger taps as well as 5 finger swipes. every single person that has a mac trackpad should have this utility, and its free. incredible!