how to mount drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scottinkga, Apr 6, 2008.

1. scottinkga macrumors newbie

I had a fruit iMac that died from a bad power supply. I used the excuse to buy a new 24" iMac (yes, I LOVE it! ;)).

Anyway, I want to get some files off of the HD that was in my fruit-mac. I bought an IDE-to-USB cable to connect the disk to my new iMac and the drive does power up, but I cannot mount it. Do I need to set the jumper on the disk to master or slave or what?

I searched the forum, but couldn't quite find this question since most of the posts dealt with external drives and I'm not sure that fits my situation, so any help will be appreciated.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Have you tried CS (Cable Select). Another option is to place the drive into an external drive case and see if it will mount that way. It should work but keep in mind the iMac may see the additional drive as another OS X that can be booted to.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Don't change any sliders on the disc - it should be master.

I assume it is a 3.5" IDE disc in the iMac ?

Try disc utility and let it check for any disks connected - it should mount on connection but some time it doesn't.

4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

If disk utility does not mount the external drive, try this.

Unplug the external drive.

Shut the iMac down.

Plug in the external drive, and powered it up, using an external power brick, to power the external drive.

Restart your iMac.

If successful you will be asked to initialize the new drive, check yes.

Then when the iMac is done booting up, go to disk utility.

And partition your new drive.

If this does not work, repeat the above process again.

Good luck:)

5. scottinkga thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me answer the suggestions/questions:

1) I don't know what cable select is, so I haven't tried that.

2) The disk is set to Master. I did try it as slave, but there was no difference.
    It is a 3.5" disk. Disk utility is not seeing the disk.

3) I tried unplugging the disk, shutting down the computer, etc. but again, no difference.

I read on another thread someone that had a similar problem and his solution was to use Data Rescue. Do you think that would work for me? I don't want to drop $100 on something for nothing.