How to "mouse click" using keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iLeo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. iLeo macrumors newbie

iLeo

Hi guys,

anyone knows how to "click" using keyboard?

I've seen articles suggesting hitting number 5 using keyboard. But that works for desktop keyboards I guess.

what's the equivalent for notebooks?:confused:

appreciate it.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Keyboard

3. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Thanks Yellow,

but I did something stupid & resulted in my mouse & keyboard working with very limited functions. was barely able to restart the device & get everything back to normal.

So excuse my stupidity, would you please be more specific on what to do exactly when I reach Universal access/ Keyboard? :eek:

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To be honest, I'm not sure, I just know that's where one should start looking.

From the Mac OS X Help Menu in the Finder:

5. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Well, that's the direction for desktops alright, the magical number 5 on the numeric part of the keyboard. that doesn't exist on the notebook keyboard, as all numbers are placed on the top raw of the keyboard only.

Tried using number 5 before, but didn't work, so I'm guessing there must be another short cut.

:rolleyes:

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Reading is fundamental. ;)

7. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Lol. Sorry about that... :eek:

but, hmmmm... couldn't really get the Num lock to work! :confused:

F6 doesn't seem to make that happen, neither does the number 5 work afterwords!

hmmmm...

8. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Sorry to bring this up again, but believe it or not... I'm still trying! :rolleyes:

You see, this is one of the things that would minimize my use of mouse tremendously! and I'm just so into that!

here's what I've been looking for:

S. Cut/ Action
    8 Move Up
    2 Move Down
    4 Move Left
    6 Move Right
    1, 3, 7, and 9 Move Diagonally
    5 Press Mouse Button
    0 Hold Mouse Button
    . (period on keypad) Release Mouse Button (use after pressing 0)

What I need is the short-cut (5) which doesn't work on Macbooks. I'M assuming that's because you need a numeric keypad number 5, which doesn't exist on Macbooks. I've been trying to find a replacement for that in a long while now, but failed so far. I'm just hoping someone who's been through this can help!

I think the latest reply on the (F6) has something to do with this, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I pressed on F6, but I don't think anything happened honestly.

Anyone? :(

9. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Num Lock was removed in 2008 I think, because my mid 2007 Macbook still had it. My Aluminum Macbook does not have num lock anymore.

10. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

This seems senseless. Turn on tap-to-click on the trackpad, learn your keyboard shortcuts, and tab between UI widgets?

11. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Well, I wouldn't say "senseless"; I'm an "almost 100%" every-thing-keyboard user. and the word "almost" comes from moments like this:

On Safari, I click "Cmd + Opt + F" to go to the search bar, and search for the word "iLeo". Now results appear from google. I use the "Down" arrow to navigate through the page, and because I've activated "Full control access", as I scroll down the page each google link gets highlighted when the mouse crosses on it.. so all i need to do is to "hit a button" to click on it... THAT's the button I'm looking for... which should be the equivalent of number 5 on the numeric keypad! And THAT's one of the very few times I have to take my hands off the keyboard and click on the track pad!
    :rolleyes:

12. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Tabbing to it and hitting Enter would seem to be the least kludgy way to do it (though if you're on a notebook I don't see what's so hard about reaching your thumb down to tap the trackpad).

13. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Unfortunately, I you're right! :(

14. sok186 macrumors newbie

Got It!

I just spent about an hour trying to figure this out. Really, I wanted to remap my CAPS LOCK key to be a left mouse click. In the end, I've got this pref pane running with the option to have a simultaneous press of z+x to be a left mouse click.

download:
    http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

If anyone figures out the caps lock method, let me know.

15. supernova777 macrumors member

to click or open file from finder

:confused: :eek: Command + Arrow Down or Command O for OPEN :cool: :apple:

16. Clancylight macrumors newbie

I just went to the system preferences->accesibility>mouse & trackpad. Enable mouse keys.. tapped option 5 times. then searched the keyboard (I have no numpad). it turns out that...

7 8 9
    U I O
    J K L

is the arrows. I is to click. hold control and press I for right click. hope this helps.