How to move a Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iBookfan, Aug 19, 2008.

1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Hi. I'm gonna move this weekend and thought about my lovely Cinema Display.

I've not saved the original box (a shame) so what to do? I'm driving my own car and thought about wrapping some towels around the display and lay it on the back-seat with the front turning up and secure that it'll stay there.

Don't you guys think it'll be fine?

/Thanks in advance.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It'd be nice to know how large it is. If it were the 30" I wouldn't consider putting it on the backseat if there's no flat surface that will hold the display. This is probably the only reason I save my boxes for things like displays because they're hard to move otherwise.

You could try to put it upright on the floor behind the passenger seat. Move the seat back as far as possible and pad everything around it so it doesn't rock.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Have a friend sit in the back seat and hold it for you. Buy em lunch for helping out. :p

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Wrap it in a towel, then place screen down on the back seat, then use the seat belt to secure it.

TEG

5. Wombert macrumors regular

Jesus what are you people recommending to him? Put it upright on the floor? Damn.

Wrap it in a blanket so it doesn't scratch, then put it on the back or passenger seat with the front facing down. That way, it doesn't move around a lot and won't get damaged. That's the most important thing. Scratching or damaging the surface is kind of hard, the thing to avoid is it bouncing around in the car when you have to brake suddenly or something.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

I would place a small towel, flat, over the screen and then a thick piece of cardboard over that, and then a towel around the whole package. The cardboard will help protect the screen in case something does come loose.

Good Luck

7. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Thanks for your advices.

Its a 20" Cinema. It's a stationweagon (WW, Passat) which is huge. I'm guess its gonna be the back-seat, but why should I put the face down and not up? Isn't it gonna be too much presure for the screen to handle?

8. David N macrumors member

Put it in a back seat standing up with a towel around it and stick the seatbelt on nice and snug. It's always worked fine for me, and I've moved a display 5000km that way with no issues.

9. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

my 24 inch dell took a road trip face down on the back seat wrapped in a towel. face down nothing can damage the screen if it falls over. I had other stuff in the car, and wanted to be sure it would make it in one piece.

10. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Just transported my 30" 1100 miles in the back seat of my car. Had some bubble wrap from the move - a bonus. I chose to have it sitting up on it's stand, facing in toward the back seat with a rope holding it tight against (at least not falling forward) against the back seat. Had my Mac Pro right next to it, 24" wrapped in a suitcase with me while I flew.

Good luck :)

11. passingXstorm macrumors regular

If your going very far I'd say a box full of packing peanuts, and have the display wrapped in a pillow case or something. If its not too far, then blankets and the backseat would work wonderfully.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Very carefully. :p

What? nobody thought about saying that? :rolleyes:

I always transport monitors with the face down/up. That way it is flay and will not fall as you accelerate/break. But wrapping it with bubble wrap or a towel is highly recommended too.

13. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Those are some superb suggestions. Though I can't figure out why you'll leave it with the face turning down? Wouldn't that casue any damage on the screen? And I'm a very excellent driver (especially when I have Apple equipment with me ;) ). I know I can't predict any hard breaks or anything but I think it's gonna be fine on the backseat.

I'll always keep my boxes for Apple gear but bought this one used and it came without a box so had no choice..

But glad, other have driven with their cinemas too :).

Other suggestions are welcome. I don't know yet what to do, and I might not even be able to help transporting the Cinema. My parents will properbly have to do the hard work, so have to give the concrete directions :p

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If the face is up and something falls on it... :eek:

Face is down will touch (hopefully through a towel) either the soft seats, or the flat bag of your car (where it actually doesn't touch the screen).

15. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

How far?

Well I actually don't know the exact distance but it takes 2 hours and 30 min to get from A to B in a car on the highway.

Wow - Many of you have really been moving around with these, huh? :)

16. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Yes.. A thing like that could happen.... But the only thing I'm gonna move this weekend is actually the Cinema and nothing else.. That's the only thing in the car besides my parents and (maybe) me. So a thing like that would be weird in this exact situation.. But good thinking though.. It just seems odd in my opinion. facing it downwards.. But hey - I haven't tried this before :rolleyes:

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I wrap monitors in bubble wrap and towels when I have to move them. I had to move my 50" Pioneer Elite plasma one time and the original carton was too big to save because I was living in an apartment. I've never had problems moving flat panel displays either upright (preferred, but not always possible) or laying flat with the screen facing up. After that, just drive carefully and try not to brake suddenly.

18. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

when i relocated 2000 miles away, i had two displays, a 30" (in its box) and a 20" display w/ out the original box as i picked up it online.

what i did was took a clean, somewhat think mini blanket and just wrapped the screen around it, similar in fashion to the static wrapping that comes originally with the display, so the edges of the blanket were under the bottom of the display so i taped it there (wrapping the blanket a few times around and securing it with some tape once or twice over.

So the only thing that was exposed was the display base, and part of the cord (which i tied together)

that way the display is practically even on either side so you can lay it facing upward or the screen downward without any issues.

my other options were:

1) remove the the stand and then just wrap the entire screen in the blanket/cloth. but figured the extra weight might be beneficial

2) request a blank/refurb box from apple, someone i know did before to send in their display but never did send it in so they just used that too move, but figured itd be to time consuming to request one and spend that extra time on the phone or in the store attempting to get one.

so overall i think the blanket trick is a definitely a good one to try.

goodluck!
    safe travels!

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

+1 :)
    I've done this many times, and never had any problems. If you're paranoid, use bubble wrap, then a towel or better yet, a blanket. :D
    Just make sure it can't move during acceleration or braking. ;)

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. interesting thread. Though, I doubt I'll be dumb enough to discard the box, it'll be kinda useful especially IF i relocate back to Europe!! - I know there won't be any towel wrapped around the screen and there won't be any back seats, instead there will be a whole bunch of out of control loonies posing as baggage handlers and the last I heard, they ain't the gentlest of people. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

btw... currently based in Japan! Woot!

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

They use gorillas my good man. Don't you remember the old Samsonite commercials? :p

22. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I thinks this will be the method I'm going with...

Thanks for all your answers.

if you got something on your mind (regarding this topic), I'll like to hear it :)

23. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Too late now I know but keeping the original packaging is always a good idea - especially when you want to sell/ship it.

24. ChrisA macrumors G4

Here is how to package it:
    • plastic film over the entire front to prevent scratches
    • plastic bubble pack around the entire display keep wraping until the padding is two inches thick
    • finally place it inside cardboard box. You may have to modify a box with knife and tape to make it the exact right size
    Go to any web site that covers the subject, like UPS or USPS and they will tell you the same thing, Use a ridgid box with 2 inches of packing beteen the packed object and the box

Ok if you want to go cheap and just wrape it in a blanket remember that objects in cars and trucks almost never shift to the rear but tend to move forward. Place it so that it is already forward and can't shift amy more. Likewise "stuff can't fall off the floor" place it as low as possible.

Better to just make a box and get some bubble wrap

25. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Yeah.. Your suggestions looks good to me.. Though I still think I'm gonna wrap some blankets/towels around it and place it on the backseat and insure that it can't fall forward and that it's almost impossible for it to move to a side.

And yes - the org box is already a good idea but, I bought it used and the seller didn't had the box.. Unfortunately..