how to move a file like on Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MareLuce, Dec 10, 2016.

1. MareLuce macrumors 6502a

How can I move a file like on Windows?

i.e., what is the Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V for files

-----

answer'd via the third google hit...

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=201107211337186

To move files in Finder first press Command+C to copy the selected files, then press Command+Option+V to move the copied files to the current folder.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

So how about drag and drop?

3. MareLuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there an easy way to do drag and drop if I need to navigate from file's current location to a directory up 3 levels and down 4?

4. mollyc macrumors 65816

Open two different finder windows, the source and the destination, and drag from one to the other.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use the spring loaded folders feature to navigate around also. By dragging and hovering over the users folder on the left it will sort of start you back at the bottom and you can work up from there. If you are familiar with your folder layout it can be done fairly quickly.

6. KALLT macrumors 601

You can also show a 'path bar' at the bottom of the window, via the 'View' menu. You can drag to it as well.

7. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

If you want the keyboard command to MOVE a file, Command + C to "copy", Command+Option + V to move. This will work the same way in function as the Ctrl + X and Ctrl +V combination that you would use in Windows.

Edit-Noticed this has already been said. Sorry :)

8. Gregg2, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm too lazy...
    Pretty sure that didn't work on my older Mac OSes. So, is that only between two folders on the same disc? Is there another key combo if it's on an external/removable?

9. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

No, I tested and made sure it works when moving to external disc and it does. Older versions of OS X(considerably older) used to accomplish this action in a different way.

10. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

For the OP or those not opposed to paying for software PathFinder has this built in a Move to command you can have in your right click context menu works great use it all the time. Add in DefaultFolderX which extends the save dialog in OSX with favourite folders you can save to and you have winning combination if you are moving/saving to the same group of folders all the time.

11. tuanbrands macrumors newbie

tuanbrands

You can do it (Cut files) with Xtrafinder ( An Application from TranKyNam Dot Com)