How to move all the application windows to the MBP's main LCD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hajime, Jan 14, 2012.

1. hajime, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I was using the MBP with an external LCD screen last night. I watched TV on the external LCD while having another application displayed on the MBP's screen. The main desktop was set up in a way that whenever the MBP is connected to the external monitor, the main desktop is displayed on the large external monitor. Now I am on the street. Even I rebooted the Mac, the application is automatically opened in another display which I cannot see. I know this because when I clicked minimizing the window on the menu bar, I saw the application window minimizing from the right edge of the MBP's screen to the dock. I went to system environment->display. There are two options at the bottom. One for collecting all the windows and the other is for searching for display. I have tried both options but the application window does not move to the MBP's LCD. What can I do to bring the application window back to the MBP screen while on the road? The application is opened but I cannot see it under Space. Using the trick of lowering the MBP's LCD resolution and then increasing it again does not work. (It worked yesterday when a very small part of the application window appeared at the edge of the MBP's screen.) I am using MAc OS X 10.6.8. Thanks.

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Apple menu > System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab, choose Mirror Displays. The opened app should now be seen on your MBP lcd screen.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. Is the problem due to Mac OS or the application?

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

A well-written application will not not draw a window off the active monitor(s).

(Still there are lots of applications that do this.)

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Hello. I am on the road and have the same problem again. When I read your reply (at home), I could see the "Arrangement tab". When the MBP is on the road, I only see the "Display" and "Color" tabs.

Before I left home, I intentionally moved the application window from the external monitor desktop to the desktop on the MBP's LCD. This problem should not happen again. However, when I just turned on my MBP on the road, the application window hides to the invisible desktop again. Rebooting the machine does not help...