How to move Aperture library to iPhoto on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by laryenhilllvr, May 17, 2013.

1. laryenhilllvr macrumors regular

As the title states I'm trying to move my old aperture library v 3.4.4 to iPhoto 9.4.3. The situation is this: My old 2010 mbp hard drive failed, I had installed lion installed when it was released. I took it in to get fixed and the, an authorized service technician, was able to recover some files to include my aperture library. However, he was unable to reinstall lion, something about it wasn't showing up as being linked to my apple id. Apple said they would assist me with reinstalling lion when I got it back. I moved the recovered files via air drop, including my aperture library. Well i was able to recover and install aperture from a super old time capsule back up onto my 2012 imac. When i open aperture it asked me to upgrade aperture, which I did. So now I'm trying to move all my photos from there into iphoto. Is this possible without having to manual move each picture as I would like to keep the metadata attached and move the albums and events in one swoop. Thanks for your help.

2. Bear macrumors G3

The latest version of iPhoto is supposed to be able to read Aperture libraries. Have you tried opening the library in question in iPhoto?

Also, if the library wasn't recovered fully there may be issues opening it whether in iPhoto or Aperture.

See Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture for more information.

3. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Correct, you should be able to open iPhoto and hit File > Switch to Library and select your Aperture library. No conversion required.

4. laryenhilllvr thread starter macrumors regular

thank you all for your responses. Just one last questions: I have photos in my iphoto library already, will switching to the aperture library somehow allow me to merge the libraries?

5. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

You can merge them, but it's not an automatic process, although it's about as easy as it could be short of automatic. See this Apple article for more info:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5296

6. laryenhilllvr thread starter macrumors regular

well the thing is i would rather merge them into iPhoto. Is that possible after following those steps?

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you ultimately going to be using Aperture or iPhoto? Aperture is designed to migrate and merge libraries and projects... and can handle the task with ease. If you are ultimately going to use Aperture... then I would suggest that you just do all the work there.

However... if you are not going to use Aperture... and do not currently have a license... it might make more sense to do the work in iPhoto. I am not a huge iPhoto user... but I think (but I am not positive)... that it would be a much more manual process than using Aperture (hence... more likely to have user errors).

/Jim

8. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

If you want to use iPhoto as your primary method to deal with photos but you already have Aperture, this is what I would do:
    1) Merge existing iPhoto library into the existing Aperture library.
    2) Open iPhoto while holding down the Option key, then select the newly merged library.