How to move Bookmarks Bar from one mac to another?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 25, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have my pro 13 i7 and I want to move my bookmarks bar from safari and firefox to my new air, is there an easy way to do this considering i don't want to do a restore and move everything over?

2. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Install and use XMARKS. It is (and I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain) the only bookmarks sync utility that is cross platform and browser.

I used it on my PC, now I use it on my Air. All my bookmarks are perfectly sync'd no matter what browser I use, or computer I purchase.

Just download and install and you should be ready to sync.

On another note Chrome and Firefox (no Safari-users probably use MobileMe or something, not too familiar with this method) both back up all preferences such as your bookmarks. You should be able to switch without issue. The difference being a change made in Chrome will not affect your Firefox bookmarks.

This is where xmarks shines! Any change made on Safari, Chrome, or FF, is sync'd to all of your other computers. I've been using marks for years. No issues. Absolutely indispensable!

http://www.xmarks.com/

3. qwerf123 macrumors regular

Wait for iCloud

4. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Will iCloud sync the OP's Firefox bookmarks also? (not too familiar with its up and coming features) If not xmarks is still the better solution.

5. Matthew9559, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, you can easily export both Safari and Firefox bookmarks.

For Safari...File > Export Bookmarks
    Then import onto your new computer through same menu system

I would think Firefox has a similar option for export/importing.

Like another poster said, xmarks is great for going across both programs and platforms. Very useful! Personally I use MobilMe for my uses. There is a MobileMe Control Panel for download off of apple.com for my Windows desktop.

EDIT: Whoops! I misunderstood. :p

6. jcg878 macrumors member

Another vote for Xmarks - it works quite well.

7. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

looks helpful, I use all three, firefox, safari, and chrome, mostly safari and firefox. It kind of sucks that you have to install it separately for each of them. Hopefully the end result is they all look the same and merge the same info. Whats the best way to now put all that on my new machine on each of the browsers?

8. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I use all three as well. As I mentioned above, download xmarks and set up your sync. You will have to set up an marks account and log into xmarks through each browser. After that you are done, your bookmarks should all sync.

In Safari the xmarks sync icon will be in your upper menu bar.
    In Chrome you can download it as an icon that will sit in the upper right side of your browser.
    In FF it'll be under the "tools" menu.

It's very little work for the convenience. The end result will be that they are identical on each browser. You're going to have to put in a little bit of time for the convenience.

http://download.xmarks.com/download/all

Here is the download link. Using each browser separately go to the link and download xmarks.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I tried the various bookmark sync techniques and they make a mess. On one machine I had "MacRumors" and the other had "MacRumor" and after sync I wound up with two bookmarks. I had "E!" on one system and "E! Online" on the other and wound up with two. The same thing happened all over my bookmark tree. Fortunately I had a backup and reverted.

The sync programs seem to demand that you spell everything exactly the same for them to work properly.

10. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Could you please clarify the "various bookmark sync techniques" you are referring to? I was reading your post and perhaps the issue is your method of creating the master copy on xmarks servers. The program does let you independently sync each browser and if not properly synced from the master you may be over writing the incorrect copy-leading to double bookmarks with multiple spellings.

Spelling errors will not affect syncing within xmarks. Which ever master copy is on xmarks servers will over-ride your browser bookmarks. Xmarks also gives you the option to sync in both directions. Meaning SERVER writes over BROWSER or BROWSER writes over SERVER.

As for having a backup; xmarks has time stamped copies of every sync you execute. Let's say you re-organize your entire bookmark folder structure, but in the end decide it just isn't working.

Let's also say you've uploaded this new structure to xmarks and it is syncing to ALL your browsers. All you would need to do is go online to the xmarks site. Under the "tools" tab you will be given the option of "explore & restore old bookmarks." These new booksmarks can then be pushed to your browsers. Finished...you will be back to where you started.

If for any reason you are getting duplicate bookmarks (and this has happened to me on occasion, or if on the xmarks site you have folders which have synced from a specific browswer, but do not want because its the stock folder structure) then log into the website erase then re-sync. If you have a folder as I previously mentioned which keeps reappearing, make sure you go the specific browser and delete before syncing.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I was not using xmarks. I was using, I think, firefox or chrome's own sync thing.

12. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I see...I do as well and I've had strange sync issues occasionally w/ FF & Chrome sync. I utilize it because its supposed to back up your preferences, bookmarks, passwords, and such. I don't quite remember how I set up my Chrome and FF on this new computer and how the particular proprietary syncs worked out for me. I think it went okay, just didn't end up loading all the apps I had downloaded for Chrome.

Well if you're not happy using those, then give what I've written above a try. Xmarks is free and should not mess with anything on your system. You can run it with the other sync services enabled.