How to move contacts from my Macbook air to my wife's?

ronbevil44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2020
We both have 2018 MacBook air with the latest upgrades. How do I move contacts from one to the other?

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
Not enough information.

What version of the operating system? Are you using iCloud for your contacts? Do you have separate logins?

If you do have separate logins, are you planning on using your wife's account on her system? Do you plan to set up your own account? Is your intent to share these contacts with your wife (on her system, on her account)?

Number of contacts? Your entire address book or just a portion? Do you plan on doing this again in the future? Does this need to go both ways?

So much lacking information...

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
We both have 2018 MacBook air with the latest upgrades. How do I move contacts from one to the other?
hi
since you used the "move" the contacts, it sounds like the simplest way is to export the Contacts file to USB and transfer it to the other machine manually.
its easy to do.
in Contacts, go to File/Export/Contacts Archive and put that file on to yr USB.
this exports all yr contacts to the USB.
then from the USB, on the other machine, Import that file into its Contacts.

there are many ways to do it, but the above is straightforward and doesn't use methods such as Air Drop, or more proactive syncing at all.
if you want to keep the contacts on both devices then a different method would be better.
if you want to keep it sync, then this link has a real good explanation of a couple of ways to do it:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just export all the contacts to a vcard file them copy that file to the other Mac and import them into Contacts.

Reactions: CoastalOR

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Why can't you do this:
1. Open your copy of Contacts
2. Choose "export --> contacts archive"
3. Save it on the desktop
4. Copy to a USB flashdrive
5. Take that to your wife's Mac, put the file on the desktop
6. Open contacts and choose "import"
???