How to move Contacts from one sync service to another?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whohasaquestion, May 6, 2019.

1. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

Picture says thousand words so see attached:

So I sync most of my contacts with Google (Gmail) and it works just fine. However, for some reason, a couple of them are synced with iCloud.

I wonder if there is a way to move these couple contacts to Google (Gmail)? And if anyone can explain why these are synced to iCloud only?

Attached Files:

2. chabig macrumors 603

Select them, then drag them on top of “All Gmail” in the left column.

3. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's easy.

You know, in my defense, I could have sworn that I tried dragging last night but it simply didn't work.

Thanks.:)

4. chabig macrumors 603

It’s super easy! But despite macOS prevalent use of drag and drop, it just doesn’t stand out to me in the Contacts app. I struggled for a while to figure it out once.

5. uniquexoxo macrumors member

uniquexoxo

Do you have an iPhone or any other iOS device? Could be cause it’s sync in there too. Have you tried just exporting it and then importing it to Google?

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Why iCloud? As others mentioned, if you have an iOS device, defaults to iCloud for save location when creating a new contact there, particularly when creating from phone app, an email, text message, etc. More control if copy a number, go to Contacts, turn off all groups and turn on the one you want, create. Messy. And why I stick to Mac for most of my contact creation.

But even on Mac, can run into same issue, depending on what group is selected. I use Smart Groups to help track down "orphan" Contacts. Once a week, visit the Smart Group and see if I need to correct things (eg. assign to a group/correct group).

Unfortunately, but makes sense, that a new contact will not be pushed to all services you have signed into.

7. whohasaquestion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you are right. I did set up those couple of contacts on iPhone recently. But I think (I can't verify) that's always been my workflow. I rarely touch the Mac Contacts app unless I am bored. But anyway, we will see if the problem resurfaces next time around. Thanks all!